Lecturer in European Economics
European Studies at the University of Amsterdam (UvA) is a large and highly successful academic department that connects research and teaching in Law, …
- Kloveniersburgwal, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Vast contract
- Uren per week:
- 12 - 14 uur
- € 2790 - € 5127 per maand
European Studies at the University of Amsterdam (UvA) is a large and highly successful academic department that connects research and teaching in Law, Economics, Culture, History and Politics, and focuses both on the EU and on a wider Europe, broader in both time and space.
There is a strong and vibrant research culture in European Studies, which is located in the Faculty’s Amsterdam School for Regional, Transnational and European Studies (ARTES). Individual and small-group research is encouraged and facilitated, including frequent seminars, conferences, funding opportunities and regular research interaction with colleagues both in European Law and across our range of disciplines.
In teaching, the BA programme (taught in separate Dutch and English tracks) consists of interdisciplinary core modules like European Integration, Turning Points in European History and European Literary History, alongside disciplinary specialisms (Majors) in European Law, Economics, History, East European Studies and Literature and Culture.
As Lecturer in European Economics you will be expected to provide teaching in the broad area of contemporary European studies in first-year introductory courses and advanced bachelor courses, as well as to supervise BA theses in different fields of European Economics. Due to the current Covid-19 measures of the Dutch government, most teaching activities will be held online but a limited amount of teaching may require you to be physically present in Amsterdam.
The tasks of the Lecturer in European Economics are to:
- teach tutorials in the First Year course Economic and Legal Integration of the Europe;
- teach advanced BA elective courses: 2 seminar courses on Macroeconomic Policy in the EU. While this course on Macroeconomic Policy is fixed, the subject of one of the seminars could potentially be adapted to the research interests of the candidate, depending on the needs of the Department and
- supervise BA theses on European Economics of a BA thesis group (approx. 6-12 students).
The candidate must either hold an MA degree in economics or political science. Preferably the candidate has a PhD. or is pursuing one in a pertinent academic discipline. Interest and experience with interdisciplinary research and teaching will be considered an advantage.
- university degree;
- experience in teaching university courses at BA level, preferably experience in delivering online courses;
- excellent command of English language, ability to teach in Dutch is considered an advantage.
The employment contract will be temporary for seven or eight months, depending on the starting date. The contract will commence on 1 January 2021 or as soon as possible after that date, but no later than 1 February 2021, till 1 September 2021 (8 months 0,33 FTE or 7 months 0,38 FTE).
The gross monthly salary will range from €2,790 (start scale 10) to €5,127 (end scale 11), based on a full-time employment contract (38 hours a week) and depending on the years of relevant working experience.
The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
For further information you can contact:
Would you like to learn more about working at the University of Amsterdam? Visit our website.