PhD candidate in Mathematical Physics
The Korteweg-de Vries Institute for Mathematics (KdVI) of the University of Amsterdam invites you to apply for a PhD position in Mathematical Physics under …
- Science Park, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Vast contract
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2395 - € 3061 per maand
The Korteweg-de Vries Institute for Mathematics (KdVI) of the University of Amsterdam invites you to apply for a PhD position in Mathematical Physics under supervision of Mikhail Isachenkov.
Conformal field theories are ubiquitous in modern theoretical physics. Since its inception in the 1970s, the conformal bootstrap program has become an indispensable tool for analyzing and solving conformal theories in two spacetime dimensions (d=2), where beautiful and profound connections with representation theory and algebra were discovered.
Last years have seen a revival and a remarkable numerical progress of the program also in the higher (d>2) number of dimensions, however the analytical understanding of its successes and limitations in such a general setting is still gaining momentum. It was appreciated recently that the basic constituents of the program, called conformal blocks and crossing kernels, bear strong connections to the theory of spherical functions and harmonic analysis on the conformal group. The present PhD project aims to leverage the representation theory of double affine Hecke algebras and the theory of automorphic forms in order to get insights into dynamics of conformal field theories.
What are you going to do?
- perform research on Mathematical Physics;
- be part of the joint research programme Mathematical Physics of the Korteweg – de Vries Institute for Mathematics and the Institute of Physics and interact with its senior and junior members;
- contribute to educational programs at the University of Amsterdam.
What do we require?
- A Master’s degree in mathematics or physics with a good knowledge of representation theory, as well as background in high-energy physics. Any background in algebraic geometry and number theory will be an additional bonus;
- excellent writing and communication skills in English;
- commitment and a cooperative attitude.
Experience in teaching is a plus.
Candidates having a double Master degree (mathematics and theoretical physics) will be given priority.
A temporary contract for 38 hours per week for the duration of 4 years (the initial contract will be for a period of 18 months and after satisfactory evaluation it will be extended for a total duration of 4 years). This should lead to a dissertation (PhD thesis). We will draft an educational plan that includes attendance of courses and (international) meetings. The starting date is flexible, but not later than 1 September 2021.
Based on a full-time employment contract (38 hours per week) the gross monthly salary will range from €2,395 in the first year to €3,061 in the last year. This is exclusive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. A favourable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
Are you curious about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits like our excellent opportunities for study and development? Take a look here.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Or do you want to know more about our organisation? Please contact: