PhD position: Designing high-performance user behaviour models in information retrieval
Six cross-theme PhD positions in Computer Science The Informatics Institute is renowned for its research in complex information systems at large with a focus …
- Science Park, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Vast contract
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2325 - € 2972 per maand
Six cross-theme PhD positions in Computer Science
The Informatics Institute is renowned for its research in complex information systems at large with a focus on three themes: artificial intelligence, computational science, and systems and networking. Within these themes, specific topics are selected and pursued through theory and application development, using a broad range of methods from computer science and engineering. We also highly value topics that are crossing the themes. This brings together the different fields of expertise and creates the synergy and creativity needed for innovative approaches. To strengthen collaboration we have opened six cross-theme PhD positions on various scientific challenges.
Are you excited about the prospect of interdisciplinary research, where two different fields of computer science - parallel computing and information retrieval - collaborate to deliver high-performance models of user search behaviour? We are looking for a PhD candidate that can work in an interdisciplinary setting to design, deploy, and validate novel parallel and distributed user models for information retrieval.
What are you going to do?
- define novel procedures and metrics to benchmark efficiency and effectiveness of user behaviour models;
- investigate and quantify the parallelism of user behaviour models;
- devise new high-performance parallel (and distributed) user behaviour models;
- implement and validate the developed models on realistic high-performance computing infrastructures using large-scale datasets with user interactions;
- complete a PhD thesis within the official appointment duration of four years;
- collaborate with researchers from multiple domains (primarily computer scientists) within and outside our university;
- regularly present intermediate research results at international conferences and workshops, and publish them in proceedings and journals;
- take part in ongoing educational activities, such as assisting in a course and guiding student thesis projects, at the BSc or MSc level.
- A Master's degree in computer science, artificial intelligence, data science, big-data engineering, or in a closely related discipline;
- familiarity with information retrieval and parallel computing;
- good programming skills (C/C++ and Python are preferred);
- good communication, presentation and writing skills in English;
- pro-active, cooperative attitude and creative out-of-the-box thinking;
- capability to work in an international multidisciplinary research environment.
Knowledge on the following is not required, but can be considered as an advantage:
- big-data analysis and/or big-data engineering techniques;
- user behaviour modeling techniques;
- programming models and/or models of computation for parallel and distributed computing;
- experience with working on large-scale (super)computing infrastructure.
A temporary contract for 38 hours per week for the duration of 4 years, preferably starting as soon as possible but no later dan 1 September. The initial appointment will be for a period of 18 months and after satisfactory evaluation it will be extended for a total duration of 4 years and should lead to a dissertation (PhD thesis). We will draft an educational plan that includes attendance of courses and (international) meetings. We also expect you to assist in teaching undergraduates and master students.
The salary will be €2,325 to €2,972 (scale P) gross per month, based on full-time employment (38 hours a week). These amounts are exclusive 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% end-of-year bonus. A favorable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
Are you curious about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits like our excellent opportunities for study and development? Then find out more about working at the Faculty of Science.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Or do you want to know more about our organisation? Please contact: