Ongeveer 23 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
PhD positions in Theoretical Physics
Are you interested in doing original research in String theory - A theory that unifies all particles and forces in nature, including gravity, in a way …
- Science Park, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2325 - € 2972 per maand
Are you interested in doing original research in String theory - A theory that unifies all particles and forces in nature, including gravity, in a way consistent with the laws of quantum mechanics and relativity?
String theory is the most promising theory that unifies all particles and forces in nature, including gravity, in a way consistent with the laws of quantum mechanics and relativity. String theory answers fundamental questions about the symmetries of nature, the quantum behaviour of black holes, the existence and breaking of supersymmetry, and the quantum treatment of singularities. In string theory all the forces and particles emerge in an elegant geometrical way, realizing Einstein's ultimate dream of building everything from the geometry of space-time.
What are you going to do?
You are expected to:
- do original research in this field under the direction of one of the faculty members in the group;
- use mathematical tools on a daily basis to attack fundamental problems in theoretical physics;
- participate in the many seminars by internal and external speakers as well as journal clubs and group activities;
- collaborate with other PhD candidates, postdoctoral researchers and other faculty members.
At the end of the PhD programme you will be an expert in at least one of the subfields of High Energy Theoretical Physics. While these topics are fundamentally of a theoretical nature, you will have the possibility to develop collaborations with other members of the Institute of Physics (IoP) and pursue applications of string theory techniques in other fields.
- A MSc in Physics or equivalent degree;
- excellent written and oral English communication skills.
A temporary contract for 38 hours per week for the duration of 4 years (initial appointment will be for a period of 18 months and after satisfactory evaluation it can be extended for a total duration of 4 years) and should lead to a dissertation (PhD thesis). We will draft an educational plan that includes attendance of courses and (international) meetings. We also expect you to assist in teaching undergraduates and master students.
The salary, depending on relevant experience before the beginning of the employment contract, will be €2,325 to €2,972 (scale P) gross per month, based on fulltime (38 hours a week), exclusive 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% end-of-year bonus. A favorable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
Are you curious about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits like our excellent opportunities for study and development? Take a look here.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Or do you want to know more about our organisation? Please contact:
- Diego Hofman, Associate professor