Postdoc Position on Relic-neutrino Detector Development
Neutrino’s that were released one second after the Big Bang are still omnipresent today. Each second billions of these neutrinos fly through each of us. …
- Science Park, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2846 - € 4490 per maand
Neutrino’s that were released one second after the Big Bang are still omnipresent today. Each second billions of these neutrinos fly through each of us. However, they have never been directly observed due to their extremely low energy. At the University of Amsterdam and the Dutch Institute for Subatomic Physics (Nikhef) we have started a project to investigate these so called relic neutrinos.
Within the context of the PTOLEMY international consortium we will develop new techniques to observe these neutrinos when they are captured on a beta emitting nucleus. We will work on the detection of the electrons when they emit synchrotron radiation in an E and B field. The technology will be integrated into a full-demonstrator relic neutrino detector within 2-3 years from now.
What are you going to do?
- Develop RF antenna’s for single electron detection in collaboration with the Dutch institute for applied scientific research (TNO).
- Integrate the RF antenna system in a full readout chain together with the Nikhef electronic engineering departments.
- Test and evaluate the system.
- Integrate the antenna system in a full demonstrator setup to be constructed at the Gran Sasso laboratory in Italy.
- Collaborate within the Dutch relic neutrino consortium.
- Collaborate within the international PTOLEMY collaboration.
What do we require?
- A PhD in Experimental Physics or Electronics Engineering.
- A strong scientific expertise in experimental High Energy Physics and/or RF detection systems.
- The ability and willingness to work in an international collaboration.
- You are able to show – and develop - strong management skills.
A temporary contract for two years (38 hours a week), preferably starting on 1 April 2022.
The salary, depending on relevant experience before the beginning of the employment contract, will be €2,846 to €4,490 (scale 10) gross per month, based on a fulltime contract (38 hours a week). This is exclusive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. A favourable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
Are you curious about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits like our excellent opportunities for study and development? Take a look here.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Or do you want to know more about our organisation? Please contact:
- Prof. dr. Auke-Pieter Colijn,
- T. + 31 (0)6 4681 2133