Postdoctoral Position in Causality for Domain Adaptation and Optimization
Are you passionate about causality and its applications for domain adaptation and optimization? We have a vacancy for a postdoctoral researcher in the …
- Science Park, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2846 - € 4490 per maand
Are you passionate about causality and its applications for domain adaptation and optimization? We have a vacancy for a postdoctoral researcher in the recently established Mercury Machine Learning Lab (MMLL). In this lab, researchers from the University of Amsterdam (UvA) and Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) will be working together with data scientists from Booking.com to develop the statistical and machine learning foundations for a new generation of recommendation systems.
Motivated by real-world problems faced in industry that involve domain adaptation and optimization, we will investigate fundamental scientific problems regarding generalization and bias removal from a causal perspective.
As part of the MMLL initiative, the University of Amsterdam (UvA) is inviting applications for a postdoctoral researcher in causality for domain adaptation and optimization under supervision of prof.dr. Joris Mooij.
What will you be doing?
You will be expected to:
- assist with the research and the supervision of several PhD students involved in the MMLL initiative of the research project, in collaboration with data scientists from Booking.com and under supervision of prof. dr. Mooij;
- publish research results in top-tier international journals and present at leading conferences;
- collaborate with other MMLL and causality researchers;
- assist in relevant teaching and knowledge dissemination activities.
What do you have to offer?
- A PhD degree (or equivalent qualification) on a topic in machine learning / modern statistics.
- An exceptional scientific track record, documented by publications at first-tier journals and conferences.
- A strong research background in (topics related to) causality, domain adaptation and stochastic optimization.
- Excellent mathematical skills (in particular in probability theory, statistics, calculus, and linear algebra).
- Excellent programming skills.
- Excellent communication, presentation and writing skills.
- An excellent command of English.
- Commitment, perseverance and a cooperative attitude.
In addition you preferably:
- have a keen interest in causality and its applications;
- have an appetite for understanding the machine learning problems relevant to Booking.com, and the desire to perform in-depth analyses of rich datasets;
- enjoy working in a multidisciplinary research environment;
- are highly motivated and creative.
We offer a temporary employment contract for 38 hours per week for the duration of four years (the initial contract will be for a period of 12 months and after satisfactory evaluation it will be extended or a total duration of four years).
Your salary, depending on your relevant experience on commencement of the employment contract, ranges between €2,846 to €4,490 (scale 10) gross per month on the basis of a full working week of 38 hours. This sum does not include the 8% holiday allowance and the 8.3% year-end allowance. The Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU) is applicable. A favourable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact (during office hours):
- Juliane Steinhardt
- T. +31 (0)20 525 7571