Ongeveer 20 uur geleden - VU - Amsterdam
Postdoctoral researcher in Abductive Inference for Natural Language Interpretation
Are you a high potential young researcher with a PhD degree in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, Mathematics, Artificial Intelligence, or a …
- Science Park, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2709 - € 4274 per maand
Are you a high potential young researcher with a PhD degree in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, Mathematics, Artificial Intelligence, or a related discipline, and would you be interested to join the Logic and Language programme at our institute to investigate Natural Language Interpretation as Abductive Inference? If so, we invite you to apply for this position.
This postdoc position is part of the NWO Open Competition project 'A Sentence Uttered Makes a World Appear---Natural Language Interpretation as Abductive Model Generation'. The successful applicant will join the group of Reinhard Muskens. The aim of the project is to explore how semantic values are assigned to natural language expressions in a compositional way and how the resulting values, represented as logical expressions, are subsequently enriched by means of abductive reasoning. The latter is studied in a tableaux setting.
What are you going to do?
You will be expected to fulfil the following tasks:
- collaborate with the other researchers working on the project (the PI and two further postdocs, to be hired at a later date);
- assist with the supervision of PhD candidates and MSc students;
- regularly present research results at international workshops and conferences, and publish them in conference proceedings and journals;
- participate in and contribute to the organisation of research activities and events at the institute, such as workshops and colloquia.
While this is primarily a research position, you will have the opportunity to contribute to teaching activities.
- a PhD degree in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, Mathematics, Artificial Intelligence, or a related discipline;
- a strong background in Logic or Computational Logic, as witnessed by publications in relevant conference proceedings or journals;
- in-depth knowledge of one of the following areas is a plus: 1) Resolution calculi and tableau calculi for first-order and higher-order logics, 2) Theories of abductive inference, 3) Natural language semantics, 4) Belief Revision;
- a strong passion for research and the wish to learn new skills through working with or assisting in guiding PhD and MSc students;
- excellent communication skills in English, both oral and written.
An employment contract for 1 year for 38 hours per week, preferably starting a.s.a.p. but no later than 16 January 020. An extension for 2 years subsequently follows if we assess your performance positive. The salary, depending on relevant experience before the beginning of the employment contract, will be between €2,709 and €4,274 (scale 10), based on fulltime (38 hours a week), exclusive 8 % holiday allowance and 8.3 end-of-year bonus. A favorable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
Are you curious about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits like our excellent opportunities for study and development? Take a look at our website.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Or do you want to know more about our organisation? Please contact: