Postdoctoral researcher in Rethinking News Recommender Algorithms
The growing role of AI and news recommendation algorithms raises entirely new questions about news diversity, and how news diversity can be safeguarded in a …
- Nieuwe Achtergracht, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Vast contract
- Uren per week:
- 30 - 30 uur
- € 2709 - € 4274 per maand
The growing role of AI and news recommendation algorithms raises entirely new questions about news diversity, and how news diversity can be safeguarded in a digital news landscape. Filter bubbles, echo-chambers and fragmented publics are the result of insufficient consideration of diversity in recommender design. The objective of this project is to address the question of how news recommender algorithms can be designed to optimise (exposure) diversity in news recommendations. The project will bridge the gap between differing understandings of news diversity in computer science, communication science, and media law.
For this NWO funded project, we are looking for a postdoctoral researcher. Together with an interdisciplinary team of researchers (law, computer science, computational communication science and linguistics), and in close cooperation with media companies and regulators, the postdoc will help us to develop a theoretical conceptualisation of media diversity and the conditions for ethically nudging users to consume diverse media content in a way that it can inform algorithmic recommender design.
This particular postdoc position will be hosted at the University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam Law School, under the direct supervision of prof. Natali Helberger, and in cooperation with dr Judith Moeller (ASCoR), dr Wouter van Atteveld (VU), dr Antske Fokkens (VU) and dr Nava Tintarev (University of Delft). Based on recent normative, legal literature on choice architecture, diversity by design and theories of the role of the media, and of informed citizens, in a democracy, this particular work package will yield which dimensions of diversity are most important.
Together with this team of principal investigators (PI’s), the tasks of the postdoc will be to:
- help identify the most promising applications of AI in the local journalistic process, in cooperation with a local journalism organization;
- map the use of AI in journalism, with a focus on local journalism;
- help prepare a funding application;
- help prepare a journal publication in a high ranking academic journal.
The ideal candidate has
- a PhD and publication record in media law, political philosophy, ethics of persuasive technologies, media studies or a comparable degree;
- experience with, or strong affinity with research into personalised communication, choice architecture, normative aspects of recommender design, persuasive technology, nudging, media diversity as a normative concept;
- documented experience in an interdisciplinary research environment;
- strong communication skills.
Knowledge of the Dutch language is a plus.
We offer an employment contract of 3 years. The gross full-time monthly salary will be in accordance with the salary scales for researchers at Dutch universities, scale 10 (Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities) ranging from €2,709 to €4,274 gross per month (full-time equivalent). Secondary benefits at Dutch universities are attractive and include 8% holiday pay and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
For more information please contact:
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature