Postdoctoral researcher Insect Molecular Biologist/ Neuroentomologist
The Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences (SILS) is seeking a postdoctoral researcher for the EU-funded project VOLARE to study the molecular …
- Science Park, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2709 - € 3389 per maand
The Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences (SILS) is seeking a postdoctoral researcher for the EU-funded project VOLARE to study the molecular mechanism of plant volatile modification and perception by insects.
Plant leaves can emit large amounts of volatiles into the air. When attacked by insects, the composition of these blends changes markedly. It is well known that these changes can affect the behavior of insects interacting with the plant. This project is aimed at (1) unraveling pleiotropic effects of an insect derived modulator of plant volatiles and (2) increasing our knowledge on odorant perception and transmission in the model species, the sphinx moth, Manduca sexta.
You will be carrying out transcriptomic profiling of larval and adult insects. This includes RNAseq sample and sequencing, library preparation as well as bio-computational analysis of the data. You will furthermore perform protein affinity assays, embryo microinjections, GC-MS analyses, behavioural assays and bioassays with insect pathogens to functionally analyse genes of interest. You will also be end-responsible for the rearing of the Manduca colony.
This work will be done in close collaboration with the department of Evolutionary and Population Biology (EPB/IBED).
- a PhD in Insect Molecular Biology or Neuroentomology;
- experience with all aspects of high throughput sequencing (such as RNAseq and post-sequencing bio-computational analysis), embryo microinjections and CRISPR/Cas9-technology as well as protein affinity assays;
- affinity with specialized plant metabolites as well as experience with behavioral assays (e.g. wind tunnel experiments, choice-assays, chemotaxis assays) is appreciated but not essential;
- excellent communication skills including a good command of the English language, be willing to supervise students and be keen to work in collaboration with people inside and outside the Plant Physiology group.
The appointment will be initially on a temporary basis for a period of 1 year. After satisfactory evaluations this can be extended with 3 more years to a total duration of 4 years. Based on a full-time appointment (38 hours per week) the gross monthly salary will be maximal €3,389 in year one (scale 10-5). The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities applies.
Are you curious about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits? Then find out more about working at the Faculty of Science.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Or would you like to know more about our organisation? Please contact:
Dr Silke Allmann
T: +31 (0)20 525 6236
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature