Research assistant Quantum Gases & Quantum Information
We are reinforcing our research support team and are currently looking for a research assistant with complementary skills, experience and enthusiasm. The …
- Science Park, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 38 uur
- € 2709 - € 4274 per maand
We are reinforcing our research support team and are currently looking for a research assistant with complementary skills, experience and enthusiasm. The present vacancy seeks to find a suitable research assistant to support our QG&QI team.
What are you going to do?
This position is an important part of our strategy for maintaining the excellent quality of our research by providing continuity and expertise at a high level.
You should feel an authority in particular key areas and an all-rounder in others. A key aspect will be to provide hands-on support in the lab to research being carried out by MSc students, PhD- and postdoctoral-researchers in the QG&QI, QMat and SM research clusters. You will play an important role in the QG&QI research cluster, for example building new laser systems, helping new students master our ultracold atom experimental setups, and maintaining the infrastructure of the ultracold atom laboratories. Beyond these specialist skills, you will gain experience and expertise with a broad range of available research equipment and also be co-responsible for ensuring a safe working environment for all users of the labs.
As member of the IoP-WZI’s team of three full-time research assistants you will:
- play a key role in liaising within the faculty and beyond. For example, with the faculty’s machine- and electronics- workshops, but also with the NanoLab Amsterdam cleanroom facility situated in the neighboring NWO-institute AMOLF;
- develop deep-rooted expertise with and maintenance of WZI’s research facilities and software packages;
- be able to act as advisor and expert consultant in areas such as laser systems, materials preparation & characterization and ultra-high vacuum technology;
- be responsible for and coordinate the use of research infrastructure that is shared between the lab’s research clusters.
Furthermore, you enjoy sharing your knowledge and expertise with our diverse community of students and early-career researchers, as well as participating in outreach activities such as open days. You feel at home in scientific group meetings and seminars and will equally enjoy acting as effective sparring partner, supporting young researchers with creative advice and hands-on support in their experiments.
We are looking for you if you have:
- a Master’s degree or higher in a relevant field;
- a passion for physics, technology and science;
- the ability to quickly process and apply new knowledge and approaches in practice;
- a pro-active personality and a true troubleshooter mentality;
- demonstrable experience of laser systems and optics and/or experience gained in a research setting in atomic, molecular and optical physics;
- knowledge and experience of automation and laboratory management is an advantage.
Science is international, and so is the IoP-WZI. Therefore, excellent command of English is a must, and if necessary we will facilitate your learning of Dutch.
You will initially be appointed on a one-year contract, with the possibility of transition to a permanent appointment at the end of this period.
The salary, depending on relevant experience before the beginning of the employment contract, will be €2,709 to €4,274 (scale 10) gross per month, based on full-time employment (38 hours a week). These amounts are exclusive 8 % holiday allowance and 8,3 end-of-year bonus. A favorable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
Are you curious about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits like our excellent opportunities for study and development? Then find out more about working at the Faculty of Science.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Or do you want to know more about our organisation? Please contact: