1 dag geleden - Technische Universiteit Eindhoven - Eindhoven
Tenure track Assistant professorship in Classical Greek language and culture
The Amsterdam Centre for Ancient Studies and Archaeology department has a vacancy for an Assistant Professor (tenure track). The tenure track period is funded …
- Kloveniersburgwal, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 30 - 30 uur
- € 3637 - € 4978 per maand
The Amsterdam Centre for Ancient Studies and Archaeology department has a vacancy for an Assistant Professor (tenure track). The tenure track period is funded by the NWO-funded Gravity Grant 'Anchoring Innovation’.
The assistant professorship is one of four six year-positions which will be advertised in the course of the upcoming years at the Universities of Amsterdam, Leiden, Groningen and Nijmegen.
The project Anchoring Innovation (2017-2027) investigates the thesis that new ideas and inventions that affect social life cannot thrive unless they are somehow embedded (‘anchored’) in the society for which they are intended. Innovation will always be connected somehow—both in the ways it is communicated and perceived, and in terms of content—to what people know, believe, want, value, and can understand. This is true even of radical, path-breaking, ‘revolutionary’ ideas and insights. This phenomenon of ‘anchoring’ is central to the new research agenda of the Dutch classicists, Anchoring Innovation.
The candidate is expected to formulate and conduct a research project in the field of Classical Greek language and literature (or a combination of Classical Greek and Latin literature) that makes a contribution to the Anchoring innovation program. Approaches that are welcome include literary studies and linguistics (or a combination), preferably combined with other disciplines, such as anthropology, psychology, or sociology.
Tasks of the assistant professor will include:
- execution of the proposed research project;
- close collaboration with the other researchers of the Anchoring Innovation research community, including participation in and organisation of expert meetings;
- presentation of (intermediate) research results at national and international workshops and conferences;
- publication of a number of studies in A-journals and/or the Anchoring Innovation book series Euhormus (Brill);
- introduction of the achievements of the Anchoring Innovation project into the local (MA) curriculum;
- teaching a select number of courses (max 0,2 fte) in the BA and MA programmes Classics and Ancient Studies ;
- development of professional teaching skills;
- active participation in the department.
Evaluations are foreseen after the second year of the appointment (advancement review) and at the end (review of the requirements for reaching tenure). The evaluation at the end is carried out as a comprehensive assessment, in which the performance is evaluated through three dimensions:
- service (activity in scientific community, academic leadership and societal interaction).
If the achievements are satisfactory, demonstrated by positive assessments, the assistant professor will be eligible for a permanent appointment.
The successful applicant must have:
- a PhD in Classics, with emphasis on Classical Greek;
- at least 3 years of experience as a postdoctoral researcher;
- proven skills in interdisciplinary research and affinity with interdisciplinary teaching;
- an excellent publication record, which includes at least one monograph and a number of publications in A-journals;
- experience with teaching Greek and preferably also Latin and demonstrable didactic abilities;
- enthusiasm for communicating academic research to non-academic audiences;
- strong cooperative attitude and willingness to engage in collaborative research and organizational duties;
- proficiency in English and – if applicable – willingness to learn Dutch (provable with NT2 diploma within two years).
The appointment of the selected candidate will be based on the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (Cao).
The selected candidate will be appointed on a tenure contract in the position of assistant professor level 2 (UD2) on a temporary basis for a period of six years, with prospect of a permanent appointment in the position of assistant professor level 1 (UD 1).
An interim evaluation will take place two years after the appointment. After two years, there must be full and excellent performance of duties, and the candidate is required to meet the criteria for the permanent position of assistant professor level 1 (UD 1) in six years. If the assessment is negative after two years, the employment contract will be terminated prematurely.
The tenure decision will be taken in the beginning of the 6th year. In order to get a permanent position as assistant professor level 1 (UD 1), the assistant professor on tenure track is subject to excellent performance. If the assessment is positive, permanent employment as assistant professor level 1 (UD1) follows. The appointment of candidates who do not achieve the required criteria for assistant professor level 1 (UD 1) will be ended after six years.
During the appointment period, the candidate will participate in compulsory (University Teaching Qualification or BKO) and optional training and professionalization activities that are facilitated in accordance with the applicable regulations.
For further information, please contact: