Tenure track position in Analysis or Dynamical Systems - Assistant/Associate professor
Are you a female mathematician working in analysis or dynamical systems who is passionate about scientific research and education and enjoys participating in …
- Science Park, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Vast contract
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 3637 - € 6738 per maand
Are you a female mathematician working in analysis or dynamical systems who is passionate about scientific research and education and enjoys participating in multi-disciplinary projects?
The Analysis group of the KdVI consists of two subgroups: the group working on Numerical Analysis and Applied Analysis, and the group working on Pure Analysis and Dynamical Systems.
We are looking for a new colleague with expertise in the broad field of analysis. To improve the gender balance in the institute the KdVI wishes to fulfill this position with a female candidate. The possibility for scientific interaction with the current Analysis group, in particular with the Pure Analysis and Dynamical Systems group, is considered a plus, but applicants from all areas of analysis will be considered for the position.
In the numerical analysis group solution methods for PDEs are developed and analysed, in particular adaptive methods and the construction of preconditioners. Further topics of current research are problems from numerical linear algebra, computational geometry, and MR Fingerprinting reconstructions. The research in the dynamical systems group concerns low-dimensional systems in both real and complex variables. In recent years there has been particular interest in semi-group actions and iterated function systems, and on dynamical systems emerging naturally in statistical physics.
What are you going to do?
You are expected to:
- further develop your own research line by publishing in high level international journals, presenting at leading conferences and supervising PhD students;
- set up a research group and co-manage and scientifically co-direct the Analysis group;
- acquire funding from sources such as NWO (e.g. VIDI), H2020 (e.g. ERC starting/consolidator grant) and industry;
- contribute to the education of bachelor and master students within the mathematics programmes teaching for other departments, and teaching in the national master programme;
- collaborate with other groups, institutes and/or companies inside and outside the UvA by contributing statistical expertise to (joint) research projects;
- show good organisational citizenship behaviour at relevant levels within the institution of the Faculty of Science.
What do we require?
- A PhD in Mathematics;
- excellent research skills, evidenced by a track record of publications in renowned international journals, and contributed and/or invited talks at international conferences/workshops;
- a strong background, experience and expertise in research in analysis or dynamical systems;
- teaching experience at university level and proven didactic abilities;
- preferably some experience with the (co-)supervision of BSc, MSc and/or PhD students;
- proven ability to attract external funding and experience in the process of proposal writing;
- the willingness to contribute to valorisation efforts and to foster collaborations with other academic institutes and industry;
- excellent communication skills;
- management skills required for general academic administration, organisation and coordination tasks;
- excellent communication skills, good command of English and willingness to learn the Dutch language (obtaining level B1 after three years of the appointment);
- at least two years of postdoc experience and international experience is expected but not strictly necessary.
We will base our selection on your scientific track record and on your vision for future research, as well as on your teaching achievements, qualifications, and vision for future teaching.
We offer you a tenure-track agreement for five years (which is part of a six-year temporary employment contract). At the start, we will draw up an agreement with you, specifying the tenure-track requirements for research, teaching and management tasks that need to be fulfilled in order to assess progress after three years and after five years. The requirements in this agreement are negotiable and depend on your experience and scientific profile. Following a positive assessment after five years, the exployment contract will become permanent.
Start dates are negotiable. The positions will be filled at the level of Assistant or Associate professor, depending on qualifications. The starting salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel, and depending on experience and qualifications. It will range from a minimum of €3,637 up to a maximum of €6,738 gross per month (salary scale 11-14) based on full-time employment. This is exclusive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. A favourable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
Are you curious about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits like our excellent opportunities for study and development? Then find out more about working at the Faculty of Science.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Or do you want to know more about our organisation? Please contact:
Prof. Han Peters
T: +31 (0)20 525 8358
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature