Ongeveer 19 uur geleden - VU - Amsterdam
Tenure Track position in Mathematical Quantum Physics
The UvA’s Faculty of Science is launching a major recruitment campaign called ‘Connecting Science’ in the areas of Physics, Chemistry, …
- Science Park, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Vast contract
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 3637 - € 6738 per maand
The UvA’s Faculty of Science is launching a major recruitment campaign called ‘Connecting Science’ in the areas of Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Computer Science. Our ambition is to attract top talent from all over the world to a large number of newly created faculty positions in a wide range of exciting scientific directions. We offer a stimulating environment and excellent conditions for research, tightly connected to challenging educational programmes.
We are looking for ambitious and motivated scientists to connect different scientific disciplines. Our goal is to have a maximal impact on science and society.
This tenure track position is at the interface between physics and mathematics in the area of Quantum Matter and Quantum Information. We are looking for someone bilingual in the mathematical and physical aspects of quantum matter and information.
The focus will be on approaches to quantum many-body theory and quantum information that bridge both disciplines, and to connect to existing research in these areas. Keywords for this position are mathematics of quantum information and quantum matter, quantum many body theory, entanglement, integrable systems, representation theory.
The positions fits within the ambitious program in Quantum Matter & Quantum Information (QM&QI) of the University of Amsterdam, focused in its highly visible research center QuSoft. This programme is a collaborative effort of the research institutes IoP (physics), KdVI (mathematics), IvI (computer science) and ILLC (logic). The highly interdisciplinary nature of the programme creates a very stimulating atmosphere for young, talented researchers. The position also underpins the continuing success of the double Bachelor and Masters programme Physics and Mathematics at the UvA, both magnets for the very brightest young talent in either discipline.
Embedding of the position
The position will be shared 50-50 between the Physics department IoP and the mathematics department KdVI of the University of Amsterdam. The position complements existing expertises in both departments, and is closely aligned with research center QuSoft, its academic and industrial partners, and the Quantum Software Consortium (NWO Gravitation).
You are expected to:
- be active in the research of mathematical physics aspects of quantum information theory, publishing in high level international journals, presenting at leading conferences and supervising PhD students;
- take part in the teaching effort of the group, including supervision of bachelor and master students, teaching for other departments, and teaching in the national master programme;
- be active in the attraction of external funding;
- be open to collaborations with other institutes and/or companies by contributing statistical expertise to (joint) research projects.
We will base our selection on your scientific track record and on your vision for future research, as well as on your teaching achievement, qualifications, and vision for future teaching.
What do we require?
- A PhD in Mathematics and/or Physics, bilingual in mathematics and physics, and demonstrable experience with and affinity to the mathematics physics aspects of quantum information theory;
- excellent research skills, evidenced by a track record of publications in renowned international conferences and journals, and contributed and/or invited talks at international conferences/workshops;
- a strong background, experience and expertise with research closely related to the mathematical physics aspects of quantum information theory;
- teaching experience at university level and demonstrable didactic abilities;
- preferably experience with the (co-)supervision of BSc, MSc and/or PhD students;
- the willingness to contribute to valorisation efforts and to foster collaborations with other academic institutes and industry;
- (the ability to develop) the management skills required for general academic administration, organisational and coordination tasks;
- the ability to attract external funding;
- good command of English and willingness to learn the Dutch language.
International research experience is preferred as is a highly collaborative and enthusiastic approach.
We offer you a tenure-track agreement for five years (which is part of a six-year temporary appointment). At the start, we will draw up an agreement with you, specifying the tenure-track requirements for research, teaching and management tasks that need to be fulfilled in order to assess progress after three years and after five years. The requirements in this agreement are negotiable and depend on your experience and scientific profile. Following a positive assessment after five years the appointment will become permanent.
Start dates are negotiable. The positions will be filled at the level of Assistant or Associate professor, depending on qualifications. The starting salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel, and depending on experience and qualifications. It will range from a minimum of €3,637 up to a maximum of €6,738 gross per month (salary scale 11-14) based on full-time employment. This is exclusive 8 % holiday allowance and 8.3 % end-of-year bonus. A favorable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
Are you curious about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits like our excellent opportunities for study and development? Take a look here.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Or do you want to know more about our organisation? Please contact: