Two Tenure track positions in Mathematical Statistics as Assistant/Associate professor
Are you a mathematical statistician who is passionate about scientific research and education and enjoys participating in multi-disciplinary projects? At the …
- Science Park, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 3637 - € 6738 per maand
Are you a mathematical statistician who is passionate about scientific research and education and enjoys participating in multi-disciplinary projects?
At the Statistics group of the Korteweg-de Vries Instituut voor Wiskunde (KdVI), the mathematical research institute of the Faculty of Science of the University of Amsterdam, we are looking for new colleagues with expertise in mathematical statistics or mathematical data science, including (but not restricted to) computational statistics, statistical learning, and statistical data science.
The research in the Statistics group covers various aspects of mathematical statistics, including parametric and non-parametric methods, as well as methods based on Bayesian principles. This ranges from theoretical work on the performance and design of procedures in high-dimensional models to more applied work in areas such as forensic statistics, the life sciences and finance. In addition, emerging techniques from machine learning research are evaluated, to shed light on their opportunities and limitations. Another recent research focus of the group is the design and study of statistical methods for the estimation of causal models from data and their use in predicting the results of interventions on systems.
What are you going to do?
You are expected to:
- further develop your own research line by publishing in high level international journals, presenting at leading conferences and supervising PhD students;
- set up a research group and co-manage and scientifically co-direct the Statistics group;
- acquire funding from sources such as NWO/STW (e.g. VIDI), H2020 (e.g. ERC starting/consolidator grant) and industry;
- contribute to the education of bachelor and master students within the mathematics programmes teaching for other departments, and teaching in the national master programme;
- collaborate with other groups, institutes and/or companies inside and outside the UvA by contributing statistical expertise to (joint) research projects;
- show good organisational citizenship behaviour at relevant levels within the institution of the Faculty of Science.
- A PhD in Mathematics, Statistics or a closely related field;
- excellent research skills, evidenced by a track record of publications in renowned international journals, and contributed and/or invited talks at international conferences/workshops;
- a strong background, experience and expertise in research in mathematical statistics, computational statistics, statistical learning, or statistical data science;
- teaching experience at university level and proven didactic abilities;
- preferably some experience with the (co-)supervision of BSc, MSc and/or PhD students;
- proven ability to attract external funding and experience in the process of proposal writing;
- the willingness to contribute to valorisation efforts and to foster collaborations with other academic institutes and industry;
- excellent communication skills;
- management skills required for general academic administration, organisation and coordination tasks;
- good command of English and willingness to learn the Dutch language (obtaining level B1 after three years of the appointment);
- at least two years of postdoc experience is expected but not strictly necessary.
International research experience is preferred.
We will base our selection on your scientific track record and on your vision for future research, as well as on your teaching achievements, qualifications, and vision for future teaching.
We offer you a tenure-track agreement for five years (which is part of a six-year temporary appointment). At the start, we will draw up an agreement with you, specifying the tenure-track requirements for research, teaching and management tasks that need to be fulfilled in order to assess progress after three years and after five years. The requirements in this agreement are negotiable and depend on your experience and scientific profile. Following a positive assessment after five years the appointment will become permanent.
Start dates are negotiable. The positions will be filled at the level of Assistant or Associate professor, depending on qualifications. The starting salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel, and depending on experience and qualifications. It will range from a minimum of €3,637 up to a maximum of €6,738 gross per month (salary scale 11-14) based on full-time employment. This is exclusive 8 % holiday allowance and 8.3 % end-of-year bonus. A favorable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
The position comes with a start-up package consisting of one PhD student and a travel budget.
Are you curious about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits? Then find out more about working at the Faculty of Science.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Or would you like to know more about our organisation? Please contact:
dr Joris Mooij
T: +31 (0)20 525 8426