The research program of Sociology has currently two perspectives. In order to be able to realize the educational and research ambitions of the department in the coming years and to contribute to the strategic development of the faculty to a broad research program in the field of health and wellness and adaptation the department of Sociology is searching for a full professor who can shape and expand the discipline of Comparative Sociology in the field of Health and Society. The professor may have a specific research specialization, for instance in health, health management, well-being, poverty and well-being or for instance policies of a welfare state. In line with the contemporary research within the department the professor researches issues of longitudinal change (@ macro level), cross national differences and s/he studies how individuals within different contexts differ from each other and how they react to changes. We expect the appointee to the chair to be capable of executing introductory courses in Sociology as well as specialized instruction at the (research) master level.
General and specific requirements
Within the appointment the present regulations and procedures of TiU and TSB apply:
- A doctorate degree specialising in a topic within sociology or a related discipline relevant to the field of study;
- The ability and the ambition to stimulate the collaboration with other departments within the TSB, the TiU, nationally and internationally;
- Proven leadership qualities and team spirit;
- Persuasiveness, to establish synergy within a group, to stimulate commitment and to be able to motivate people to establish effective collaborations and results;
More specifically, the following will be required from the appointee to the chair.
A solid research background that is apparent from the following:
- Research into relevant and important themes in the field of health sociology, social inequality and/or social differences in health;
- Strong engagement in quantitative, empirical and sociological (longitudinal and/or comparing countries) research;
- Affinity towards the coordination and implementation of large scale data collections;
- A large number of first-author and/or single-author publications in authoritative, international professional periodicals/journals;
- International recognition as a researcher;
- Proven to be successful in acquiring research grants;
- Experienced in supervising PhD students, master and bachelor students with their dissertations/theses;
- Enjoying university teaching with the aim to further strengthen the educational profile of Sociology;
- An innovative mind with regard to education and sociological research;
- Being able to demonstrate a relevant network of contacts;
- Excellent and proven administrative and managerial competencies.
Tilburg University is rated among the top Dutch employers, offering excellent terms of employment. Appointment will take place in accordance with the collective labour agreement of the Dutch universities in the rank of Professor with a minimum salary of €5.333, - to a maximum of. €9.375, - gross a month, depending on experience. In addition, you annually receive an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end of year allowance. We offer a permanent employment contract. Employees from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for the 30% tax regulation which implies a tax-free allowance equal to 30% of their gross salary.
Additional information about Tilburg University and the Department of Sociology can be retrieved from website: https://www.tilburguniversity.edu/about/schools/socialsciences/organization/departments/sociology/.
Specific information about the vacancies can be obtained from prof.dr. P.H.J. (Peter) Achterberg, Head of Department Sociology. (+3113 466 2246, email@example.com) or drs. C.M. (Charl) Kuiters (HR) regarding employee benefits and other HR related topics.