PhD Research position in Operations and Supply Chain Management
The Tilburg School of Economics and Management (TiSEM) has an opening for a fully funded PhD candidate in Operations and Supply Chain management (4 years). We are looking to expand our research team with a talented and eager PhD student that has a strong background in operations management, supply chain management, industrial engineering, econometrics, and/or operations research.
- Warandelaan, Tilburg, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 uur
- € 2395 - € 3061 per maand
The Information & Supply Chain Management research group in the Department of Management is searching for a PhD candidate interested to study grocery retail supply chains in emerging markets. The retail landscape in these markets consists of millions of family-operated nanostores that serve billions of people at the base of the pyramid. In our research, we study in particular the digitization of this channel, fuelled by the rapid expansion of mobile internet access. We collaborate with technology start-ups and consumer goods companies that provide us with access to their transaction data. Our research is rigorous and relies on econometric analysis, experiments in the lab and the field, and formal models. The research on this topic is led by Professor Jan Fransoo who will also serve as the main advisor for the PhD candidate.
In particular, the successful candidate for this project is expected to:
- Complete successfully a limited but rigorous set of courses;
- Conduct independent research in close collaboration with the other team members, including the supervisors, and publish on this research in relevant and rigorous academic journals;
- Interact with our industry and data partners;
- Be an active member of the research group, the Department of Management, and TISEM, especially by organizing and participating in events and activities, and presenting and discussing research output regularly with the research group;
- Contribute to the courses in which the Department of Management is involved and supervise theses
Applicants must have:
- A (Research/Thesis-based) Master’s degree in (Supply Chain/Operations) Management, Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, or Econometrics.
- A genuine interest in the field of supply chain management and developing economies;
- Strong analytical skills; experience with model-based empirical research would be an asset (otherwise, willingness to acquire such knowledge rapidly);
- Excellent command of English both written and spoken;
- Ambition to perform top-level research and occasionally teach, ability to work independently and within a team, and interest in interacting and delivering within a group in an interdisciplinary, international environment;
Tilburg University is rated among the top Dutch employers and has excellent terms of employment. The appointment will be for the total of 48 months. The selected candidate will initially be appointed for 16 months, with an extension for the following 32 months on the basis of a positive evaluation. The evaluation will take place after 12 months.
The selected candidate will be ranked in the Dutch university employment system (UFO). The starting gross salary is € 2.395,- per month (for a full-time appointment) in the first year, up € 3.061,- in the final year. There is a holiday allowance (8% in May), and end-of-year bonus (8.3% in December). All university employees are covered by the so-called civil servants pension fund (ABP). Researchers from outside the Netherlands may qualify for a tax-free allowance equal to 30% of their taxable salary. The university will apply for such an allowance on their behalf. The university offers very good fringe benefits (it is one of the best non-profit employers in the Netherlands), such as an options model for terms and conditions of employment and excellent reimbursement of moving expenses.
Specific information about the vacancy can be obtained from Professor Jan Fransoo (firstname.lastname@example.org).