Ongeveer 20 uur geleden - Radboudumc - Nijmegen
PhD Research Position in the field of transnational regulation of manufacturing (0.8 fte)
The Tilburg Law and Economics Center (TILEC) offers a PhD Research Position in the field of transnational regulation of manufacturing (0.8 fte)
- Warandelaan, Tilburg, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 uur
TILEC, a Center of Excellence at Tilburg University and a global leader in the study of economic governance, is looking for a PhD researcher interested to examine empirically the evolution of private rule-making and standardization in goods/manufacturing. TILEC consists of some 40 committed members working on economic law as well as institutional, behavioural and experimental economics. In addition, Tilburg University is a social science specialized institution, hosting various research groups on topics covering multiple aspects of transnational, comparative and global law from a theoretical and empirical viewpoint.
The selected candidate, preferably of a political science or legal background, will contribute to the execution of a 5-year project on ‘The Resilience and Evolution of Economic Activism and the Role of Law’ (REVEAL). The project is funded by the European Research Council Consolidator Grant (ERC-2016-CoG 725798) and is led by Professor Panos Delimatsis. REVEAL aims to identify the conditions, means and strategies that allow for the birth, continuation, evolution and change of non-State bodies, focusing in particular on their rule-making and standard-setting activities used to absorb crisis events and similar episodes overtime. In this regard, practices within non-State bodies in the area of manufacturing and finance will be closely examined. The project will also analyse the impact that State legislation and the interaction with selected State supervisory authorities may have on the functioning of those non-State bodies. A substantial part of the tasks of the selected candidate will focus on the design of empirical research (including case studies and field observation), the collection of data and their classification in a dynamic database. REVEAL will test empirically the ability of transnational rule-makers to reinvent themselves in the aftermath of turning moments in economic history and aims at building a new theory of the resilience of private collective action.
Applicants must have:
- a bachelor degree in political science, international relations, law or in law and economics;
- a Master’s degree in the areas of transnational regulation, EU law, international relations/organizations/law and governance or a related field;
- genuine interest in transnational private regulation and the governance of international non-State and hybrid organizations in goods such as the ISEAL Alliance or the GlobalGAP;
- multidisciplinary and explorative mind-set;
- strong analytical skills and knowledge of empirical research methods. Experience with empirical research methods (eg, empirical research and dataset design in a master thesis or a project) would be an asset (otherwise, willingness to acquire such knowledge rapidly);
- excellent command of English, both written and spoken. Knowledge of Dutch and other languages would be positively considered, but is not required;
- ambition to perform top-level research and occasionally teach, ability to work autonomously and within a team, and interest in interacting and delivering within a group in a multidisciplinary, international environment;
- assist in the organization of high-level academic events.
TILEC is an interdisciplinary center producing cutting-edge research of global repute in the broader fields of competition, regulation and innovation. Tilburg University is rated among the top Dutch employers and has excellent terms of employment. The appointment will be for the total of 48 months. The selected candidate will initially be appointed for 16 months, with an extension for the following 32 months on the basis of a positive evaluation. The evaluation will take place after 13 months. The selected candidate will be ranked in the Dutch university employment system (UFO). The starting gross salary is € 2,222 per month (for a full-time appointment) based on the PhD salary scale of the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) Dutch Universities. Researchers from outside the Netherlands may qualify for a tax-free allowance equal to 30% of their taxable salary. The university will apply for such an allowance on their behalf. The university offers very good fringe benefits (it is one of the best non-profit employers in the Netherlands), such as an options model for terms and conditions of employment and excellent reimbursement of moving expenses.
In particular the successful candidate is expected to:
- perform empirical research leading to a doctoral dissertation in the area of transnational private regulation and rule-making in goods at the European and/or transnational level;
- assist in implementing the REVEAL research program in terms of data discovery, dataset design and maintenance, and theory building;
- Be in charge of the design and operation of REVEAL’s qualitative databases relating to rule-making by selected goods-related non-State bodies;
- Undertake empirical research, including field observation and process tracing alone or with another REVEAL member;
- Regularly present intermediate research results at TILEC meetings as well as international workshops and conferences;
- have an interest in and, ideally, contribute to the interdisciplinary dialogues;
- assist in the preparation of research grant applications at the national and international level;
- be an active member of REVEAL and TILEC, especially by organizing and participating in events and activities, and presenting and discussing research output regularly with the research group;
- contribute to the educational programs in which TILEC is involved.
Additional information about Tilburg University and TILEC can be found at http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/tilec/. Specific information about the vacancy can be obtained from Prof. Panos Delimatsis: email@example.com.