- Seeing to the development, implementation and quality of education in practical theology (in Dutch and in English) in Utrecht and Tilburg;
- Leading and guiding research in the field of practical theology and taking care of the implementation and quality of research within the own discipline;
- Participating in and, if needed, leading the Department of Practical Theology and Religious Studies;
- Participating in and, if needed, leading the research programme “The Transformation of Religion in Late Modernity: The Case of New Catholicism”;
- Acquiring and developing contract education and contract research, and representing the own discipline in the Netherlands and abroad;
- Representing and stimulating the dissemination of knowledge of the own discipline within the media;
- Leading of and/or taking part in work groups, committees or project teams, both internally and externally, performing administrative duties and implementing management tasks that have been assigned.
- PhD degree on a subject relevant to this position (STD by preference);
- Being familiar with the fundamental theological questions and background of practical theology and a wide-ranging orientation in the whole field of practical theology, namely: practical ecclesiology and church community building, poimenics, diaconics, mystagogy and catechetics;
- Demonstrable experience of (and competency in) teaching at an academic level;
- Demonstrable international research experience, evidenced international peer-reviewed publications,
- Having a large experience of supervising students who are working on a master thesis;
- Having the capacity to attract PhD students, to guide them as a supervisor and to assess the implementation and progress of their doctoral research;
- Having good managerial capacities in the academic field;
- Ability to collaborate effectively with other colleagues, also in an interdisciplinary context;
- Proficient in Dutch and English, or willing to become so soon;
- Being an active member of the Roman Catholic Church; being willing and capable to give advice to and to collaborate with church authorities;
- Meeting the requirements for the position set out in Sapientia Christiana on behalf of the Catholic Church authorities (candidates need to obtain a missio canonica from the Grand Chancelor and, by implication, a nihil obstat from the Congregation of Catholic Education).
Tilburg University is one of the best employers in the Netherlands and offers an exceptionally good employment package. We offer a temporary contract for a period of one year. The preferred starting date is 1 September 2018. Subject to satisfactory performance, this agreement can be followed by an employment contract for an indefinite period of time.
It is required to obtain a BTQ certificate (Basic Teaching Qualification) within 2 years. We look for a full time or almost fulltime colleague (0.8 – 1.0 fte).
The selected candidate will be ranked in the Dutch university employment system as full professor (“Hoogleraar 2”). The gross salary depends on qualifications and experience and ranges between € 5.334,- and € 7.766,- gross per month for a full time employment of 38 hours per week. The salary is supplemented with an annual holiday pay and an end-of-year bonus. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may qualify for a temporary tax-free allowance equal to 30% of their taxable salary. The university will apply for such an allowance on their behalf. If the candidate does not speak Dutch yet, a sufficient passive understanding of Dutch will have to be acquired within two year after appointment. The university will facilitate courses for that purpose, if needed.
In the case of equal qualities of the candidates, preference will be given to a priest or a woman.
For further information regarding this position, please contact the Dean, Marcel Sarot, at +3113466 or e-mail: M.Sarot@uvt.nl
Tilburg School of Catholic Theology (TST) verricht wetenschappelijk onderwijs en onderzoek in de theologie met het oog op het doorgeven van de katholieke traditie vanuit de bronnen naar de hedendaagse cultuur en samenleving. Zij staat open voor allen die hun geloof willen verdiepen en kritisch willen doordenken. De faculteit heeft vestigingen in Utrecht en Tilburg en is een door de bisschoppen erkende instelling die onder meer studenten voorbereidt op een ambt of functie waaraan een kerkelijke goedkeuring is verbonden. De kleinschalige faculteit wordt gekenmerkt door korte lijnen en een open, ongedwongen sfeer.
Tilburg School of Catholic Theology