1 dag geleden - Technische Universiteit Eindhoven - Eindhoven
Three Assistant Professor positions in Communication and Cognition (fulltime)
The Department of Communication and Cognition in the Tilburg School of Humanities and Digital Sciences is looking for enthusiastic colleagues for the position of Assistant Professor.
- Warandelaan, Tilburg, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
The candidates contribute (both in terms of teaching and organization) to one of the leading programs in the Netherlands in in Communication and Information Sciences (CIS) With the new positions, we seek to strengthen the three tracks of the program:
- The (new) track New Media Design (NMD) emphasizes on creativity and design for and with new media technologies, with topics including user-centered design methods, interaction design, prototyping, usability evaluation, storytelling with data, and research and development of emerging technologies such as virtual /mixed reality, and social robots.
- The track Business Communication and Digital Media (BDM) covers the fields of strategic communication, with topics marketing and persuasive communication, corporate and management communication, and strategic use of social and mobile media.
- The track Text and Communication (TC) focuses on human communication as a multimodal phenomenon, with a strong emphasis on the interplay between verbal and visual modalities in interactive and non-interactive forms of communication (human-human, human-machine, computer-mediated).
Moreover, the candidate is expected to initiate and conduct fundamental and applied research in the research program Language, Communication and Cognition (LCC). LCC explores cognitive and social aspects of human communication through a multidisciplinary approach, combining careful experimentation with survey methods, corpus analyses and computational modeling. Core research domains include communication and technology, business communication, cross-cultural communication, social media research, information visualization/design research, language production, and non-verbal communication. The candidate is expected to develop new lines of research fitting in the program related to the development, evaluation and societal impact of new media technologies.
- Has a PhD in a discipline relevant to (one of the three tracks of) our program.
- Has published in international journals or proceedings.
- Has a strong record in developing and teaching Bachelor and (Research) Master courses, and experience with supervising Bachelor’s and Master’s theses.
- Has strong statistical, methodological and computational skills.
- Has good didactic qualities and enthusiasm for teaching and working with students
- Has the ability to acquire external funding for research.
- Has a promising profile in academic management.
- Has strong communication skills, and is able to work in a multidisciplinary team and department.
- Has acquired (or is willing to acquire) the Basic Teaching Qualification.
- Is able (or willing to learn) to communicate in Dutch.
The positions will be ranked in the Dutch university job ranking system (UFO) as assistant professor (“universitair docent”). The starting gross salary for a full-time appointment is (minimally) € 3.475 in scale 11 up to (maximally) €4.757,- gross per month per month (max €66.388 ,- gross all in per year). Positions are full time or 80%, with tasks divided between teaching/management (65%) and research (35%).
The start of the employment is negotiable, preferably August 1. 2018. Successful candidates receive a 2 year contract. A permanent contract or an extension of the contract is depending on a positive evaluation, the success of the teaching programm Communication and Information Sciences and obtaining the Basic Teaching Qualification.
Tilburg University is rated among the top of Dutch employers and has excellent terms of employment. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may qualify for a tax-free allowance equal to 30% of their taxable salary. The university will apply for such an allowance on their behalf. The Tilburg School of Humanities will provide assistance in finding suitable accommodation. The university offers very good fringe benefits (it is one of the best non-profit employers in the Netherlands), such as a holiday allowance, an options model for terms and conditions of employment and reimbursement of moving expenses.
For more information on this position, please contact prof. dr. Alfons Maes, head of department (email@example.com) +31134662058.
Tilburg School of Humanities and Digital Sciences (TSHD) conducts scientific research and education in the fields of Communication and Information Sciences, Philosophy, Religious studies and Language and Culture studies. The School of Humanities features three departments, several research institutes and a faculty office. Each year around 275 students commence a Bachelor or (Pre) Master Program. The School has approximately 1300 students and 250 employees.