Two Assistant Professors Philosophy (0.8 - 1.0 FTE)
The following vacancies are available at the Tilburg School of Catholic Theology Two Assistant Professors Philosophy (0.8 - 1.0 FTE)
- Nieuwegracht, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- Teaching courses in philosophy in the context of BA and MA programmes in theology. These courses are given in Dutch and in English, sometimes in Utrecht, sometimes in Tilburg. Courses offered are: History of Philosophy; Systematic Philosophy; Moral Philosophy; Philosophy of Religion and Metaphysics; Philosophy: Nature and Culture; Methods in Hermeneutical Research; Christian and Catholic Identity; Patterns of Moral Reflection, Philosophy (specialisation courses); Christian Theology: Fundamental Issues and Contemporary Questions; Christianity in Dialogue with Contemporary Politics, Government and Law.
- Participating in the activities of the Department of Systematic Theology and Philosophy;
- Participating either in the research programme “The Transformation of Religion in Late Modernity: The Case of New Catholicism” or in the research programme: “Initiation and Mystagogy in the Christian Tradition”;
- Acquiring and developing contract education and contract research, and representing the own discipline in the Netherlands and abroad;
- Representing and stimulating the dissemination of knowledge of the own discipline within the media;
- Leading of and/or taking part in work groups, committees or project teams, both internally and externally, performing administrative duties and implementing management tasks that have been assigned.
- PhD degree in Philosophy;
- Demonstrable experience of (and competency in) teaching at an academic level;
- Demonstrable international research experience, evidenced by a doctoral thesis and other peer-reviewed publications;
- Demonstrable experience of supervising students who are working on a master thesis;
- Demonstrable affinity with Catholic theology;
- Ability to collaborate effectively with other colleagues, also in an interdisciplinary context;
- Proficient in Dutch and English, or willing to become so soon;
- Meeting the requirements for the position set out in Veritatis Gaudium on behalf of the Catholic Church authorities. (Candidates need to obtain a nihil obstat). This includes being a catholic in good standing.
Both positions will be ranked in the Dutch university job ranking system (UFO) as assistant professor (“universitair docent 2”). The starting gross salary for a full-time appointment is (minimally) € 3,637 in scale 11 up to (maximally) € 4,978 gross per month (max. € 69,472 gross all in per year)
The candidate selected for the position will first receive a contract for 2 years. After that, a permanent contract is possible dependent on performance, including the obtaining of a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ, in Dutch BKO). It is required to obtain a UTQ certificate within 2 years. The required proficiency in Dutch or English should be reached within two years after appointment. The university will facilitate courses for that purpose, if needed.
The preferred starting date is January 1th and August 1th 2020. Both positions are fulltime (1.0 fte), but applicants who prefer a 0.8 position will be taken into consideration as well.
Tilburg University is rated among the top of Dutch employers and has excellent terms of employment. The university offers very good fringe benefits (it is one of the best non-profit employers in the Netherlands), such as a holiday allowance, end-of year bonus, an options model for terms and conditions of employment and reimbursement of moving expenses. The Tilburg School of Catholic Theology will provide assistance in finding suitable accommodation. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may qualify for a (temporary) tax-free allowance equal to 30% of their taxable salary. The university will apply for such an allowance on their behalf.
In the case of equal qualities of the candidates, preference will be given to a priest, a woman and/or an active member of the Roman Catholic Church.
For further information regarding this position, please contact prof. dr. Bart Koet, chair of the hiring committee. E-mail: email@example.com.