Assistant Professor Extended Reality 1.0 FTE
The Department of Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence (DCA) at Tilburg University (TiU) is looking for an enthusiastic new colleague in the domain of virtual, mixed, and augmented reality. The candidate is expected to contribute to the teaching and thesis supervision in the bachelor and master program ‘Cognitive Science & Artificial Intelligence’. The department contributes to the MindLabs initiative in the center of Tilburg and the successful candidate will also be involved in the activities of the virtual reality lab there.
Besides excellent terms of employment, the department offers its members access to modern research facilities, such as a computer cluster with GPU computing capability, experimental labs, as well as robots, XR facilities, and sensing technologies.
The position calls for ambitious scientists with experience in both teaching and research. A successful candidate
- has a PhD and a publication record in human-computer interaction with focus on VR/AR/MR in combination with Artificial Intelligence, Data Science, Computer Science or another relevant discipline;
- has a record in coordinating and teaching bachelor and master courses, and experience with supervising master theses;
- has the ability to acquire external funding for research;
- has the ability to work in an interdisciplinary team;
- has the ability to communicate in English fluently;
- has acquired or is willing to acquire the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ); Tilburg University offers courses for acquiring this certification;
- knowledge of business intelligence is a pre for at least one of the vacancies.
- both junior and senior candidates can apply. Positions will be filled according to background and experience of the candidate.
Research and education at the Tilburg School of Humanities and Digital Sciences (TSHD) has a unique focus on humans in the context of the globalizing digital society, on the development of artificial intelligence and interactive technologies, on their impact on communication, culture and society, and on moral and existential challenges that arise. The School of Humanities and Digital Sciences consists of four departments: Communication and Cognition, Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence, Culture Studies and Philosophy; several research institutes and a faculty office. Also the University College Tilburg is part of the School. Each year around 275 students commence a Bachelor or (Pre) Master Program. The School has approximately 2000 students and 250 employees.
- the position will be ranked in the Dutch university job ranking system (UFO) as assistant professor (“universitair docent”).
- the starting gross salary for a full-time appointment for an assistant professor is (minimally) € 4.332,- in scale 11 up to (maximally) € 5.929,- in scale 11 gross per month.
- the position is full time, but a part-time position is negotiable. The start of the employment will be as soon as possible and March 1, 2024, at the latest.
- in principle, successful candidates receive a permanent contract after 12 months (for internal candidates) or 18 months (for external candidates).
- successful candidates must remain at least 80% of their working days in the Netherlands (as a requirement of tax and social security laws).
Tilburg University is rated among the top Dutch employers and has excellent terms of employment. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may qualify for a tax-free allowance equal to 30% of their taxable salary. The university will apply for such an allowance on their behalf. The Tilburg School of Humanities and Digital Sciences (TSHD) will provide assistance in finding suitable accommodation. The university offers very good fringe benefits (it is one of the best non-profit employers in the Netherlands), such as a holiday allowance of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% (annually), an options model for terms and conditions of employment and reimbursement of moving expenses. The collective labor agreement of the Dutch Universities applies.
For more information on this position, please contact the Head of the Department, dr. Marie Postma (Marie.Postma@tilburguniversity.edu).