PhD candidate | Osteogenesis imperfecta
Osteogenesis imperfecta is a genetic disorder which is mainly characterized by bone fragility as a result of which patients suffer from multiple severe …
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 uur
- € 2279 - € 2919 per maand
Osteogenesis imperfecta is a genetic disorder which is mainly characterized by bone fragility as a result of which patients suffer from multiple severe fractures. It is a genetically heterogeneous disease caused by mutations in different genes affecting collagen regulation. In the vast majority of patients less collagen is produced. Despite the severity of the disease no effective therapy exists. We have developed a novel differentiation method to derive osteoblasts from dermal fibroblasts of the patients. In this model we can investigate osteoblast differentiation and function in a disease-relevant molecular background. This project is based on testing small molecules on patient-specific osteoblasts with the potential to upregulate collagen synthesis, the primary problem in the pathology of osteogenesis imperfecta. The candidate will work on their vigorous preclinical evaluation especially in in vivo models of the disease. A large part of the study will also include the development of gene therapy to address the more rare forms of osteogenesis imperfecta.
- A master degree in Molecular and/or Cellular Biology or Biological Sciences;
- Motivation, enthusiasm and ambition to succeed academically;
- The candidate must have a strong hands-on experience with a range of molecular and cellular biology techniques;
- A good early scientific track record is desirable (peer-reviewed articles, attendance in international conferences);
- Excellent verbal and writing English communication skills, ability to work independently as well as within a team;
- Interest in genetics, experience with relevant projects is an advantage;
- Experience with in vivo is considered a strong advantage.
Salary Scale OIO: 2279 tot 2919 euro gross when employed full-time (depending on qualifications and experience).
In addition to a good base salary, we offer, amongst others, an 8,3% end-of-year bonus and 8% holiday pay. For more information on our fringe benefits, please see our benefits www.werkenbijvumc.nl/vumc/arbeidsvoorwaarden/
For Dutch citizens it is mandatory to provide a VOG (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag).
This position is for four years during which the candidate is expected to fulfill the requirements to be awarded a PhD degree (publication of peer-reviewed articles and a minimum amount of points from attendance of courses).
Application documents (in PDF format) must contain: letter of motivation, detailed curriculum vitae, transcripts of degrees (with grades) for BSc and MSc (or MRes) and contact information of three potential referees.
If you’re interested about this position, you can contact Dimitra Micha, via telephone number +31 (0)20 444 5635. If you need more information about the application procedure, contact Evelien Hoozemans, corporate recruiter at +31 (0)20 444 5635. You can apply till 9 April 2018 by using the apply button.
Vragen over deze functie?
Vaste functies; wetenschappelijk onderzoek, communicatie, stafdiensten
020 - 444 5635
Acquisition based on this vacancy is not appreciated.