1 dag geleden - Technische Universiteit Eindhoven - Eindhoven
2 PhD Positions / Junior Lecturers in PPE
Since September 2016, the John Stuart Mill College of VU Amsterdam offers an international bachelor programme in Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE). The …
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 2222 - € 2840 per maand
Since September 2016, the John Stuart Mill College of VU Amsterdam offers an international bachelor programme in Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE). The PPE programme (www.vu.nl/ppe) is a joint initiative of three faculties of VU Amsterdam. We seek candidates for two PhD-candidates/junior lecturers with full employment benefits. As one of the two PhD candidates/junior lecturers PPE you will teach seminars within the College, play an active role in the PPE-community, and conduct research that results in a PhD dissertation.
The position involves 50% teaching and 50% research time. In the role of junior lecturer you will support senior teaching staff by leading small group seminars. Candidates will also have a role as student tutors. Successful candidates will demonstrate an ability to play an active role in the John Stuart Mill College’s social and intellectual life, as well as an aptitude for student supervision. In the role of researcher, applicants will complete a PhD dissertation on a topic that falls within the interdisciplinary scope of PPE. Candidates select their own topic that intersects with at least two of the three PPE disciplines. The research will be supervised by experts from the two faculties.
• A completed (research) master degree in one of the three PPE disciplines, or a related discipline;
• Excellent research and writing skills;
• Excellent command of the English language;
• The ability to work in a team as well as independently;
• The ability to work in an interdisciplinary and multicultural environment; and
• A willingness to actively contribute to the community life of the John Stuart Mill College.
Successful applicants can be appointed for either 1.0 fte for 5 years, or for 0.8 fte for 6 years. The starting date is negotiable, but must be no later than 1 September 2018. We offer an exciting opportunity to contribute to an ambitious and international bachelor programme with highly motivated students and to conduct your own research project, at a renowned research university. You will receive appropriate training, personal supervision, and guidance for both your research and teaching tasks, providing an excellent start to an academic career.
The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel, ranging from a minimum of € 2222,00 gross per month in the first year, building up to a maximum of € 2840,00 in year four to six based on full-time employment.
For additional information please contact:
For additional information please contact:
Prof. dr. Martin van Hees
Dean John Stuart Mill College
To apply for this position please send in the following:
• A letter of motivation (mention the vacancy number);
• Your CV;
• A proposal for a PhD research project (max. 2.000 words, including references). Your proposal should fit the PPE profile and should include a description of:
• the research problem, including a brief discussion of the relevant literature;
• the methodological approach;
• A teaching statement (max. 300 words). Please briefly indicate which of our first year PPE courses fall in your area of specialization/ competence. If you do not have teaching experience, please indicate why you are interested in teaching and how your existing skills are transferrable to a teaching environment;
• One letter of recommendation.
Please make one pdf file of your application documents (excluding the letter of recommendation), with the documents in the order as indicated above.
Applications should be sent before 29 June 2018 (mention the vacancy number in the subject). The person writing a letter of recommendation for you can send it to the same address.
Interviews for the positions can be held via Skype if you do not live in the Netherlands.
Any other correspondence in response to this advertisement will not be dealt with.