Assistant Professor Ethics (Tenure Track)
Are you an experienced researcher in formal methods in philosophy? Would you like to apply your formal expertise to challenging and societally relevant issues? Do you want to expand your excellence in research and teaching at the Department of Ethics, Governance & Society? Please apply at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
- € 3637 - € 4978 per maand
We are looking for a talented investigator in formal philosophy and ethics with an emphasis on symbolic and/or computational methods, who will develop an independent and innovative research program in the formal analysis and theory-building in ethical decision-making and who can design, develop and teach Ethics courses targeted to the students of the BSc programs at SBE. In particular, we are looking for a candidate with ample experience in using and developing general overarching foundations which can be applied both generally and modularly to different settings and at different levels in organizations, institutions, markets and society. The successful candidate’s research program will help complement and reinforce existing expertise within the department.
- Develop innovative, independent research programs that result in scientific publications in high quality journals and conference proceedings in relevant disciplines;
- Have the ability to attract external research funding;
- Contribute to research in the focal areas of the Department of Ethics,
Governance & Society (see below)
- Supervise graduate students
- Design, develop and teach courses, especially in Ethics, at the bachelor and master level, for students in Business and Economics, as well as in executive programs.
- You have completed a PhD in (formal) philosophy and theoretical computer science or related fields;
- You have at least six years of postdoctoral research training outside the institute where your PhD degree was obtained;
- You have a strong publication record in your relevant fields;
- You have strong teaching skills, and have experience in design and development of courses;
- You have a relevant international network;
- You have been able to acquire research funding;
- You have a proven ability for academic supervision and training of students;
- You have a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ/BKO), or are willing to obtain such a qualification within the first two years of your tenure track; You master the English language at CEFR C1/C2 level.
ConditionsWe offer a tenure-track position at the level of Assistant Professor, initially for the duration of 6 years. During the tenure track, you are given the opportunity to devote 40% of your working hours to research and 60% to teaching.Within an agreed period, tenure could be achieved if the faculty criteria for Assistant Professor are fulfilled. During the tenure, the performance will be evaluated in terms of teaching, publication record, and attempts at acquisition of research funding either individually or in consortia. After a successful evaluation, permanent employment will be granted.
A challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,637 and a maximum of €4,978 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 1 FTE.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment,
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus,
- solid pension scheme (ABP),
- contribution to commuting expenses,
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package.
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 5 April 2020.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof.dr. Alessandra Palmigiano
Position: Full professor Logic and Management Theory