Assistant Professor in Arabic language
The Faculty of Religion and Theology (FRT) at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) invites applicants for a lecturer/assistant professor position in Arabic language, affiliated with the Centre for Islamic Theology (CIT).
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 24 - 24 uur
- € 3637 - € 5656 per maand
The successful candidate will be primarily responsible for the teaching and developing of curricula of BA- and post-academic courses on Classical/MSA Arabic (with focus on Quranic-Islamic source texts), using proficiency-based methodology, and (highly preferable) a course on Quranic recitation (tajwīd) for beginners. The candidate is also expected to carry out high level academic research in the field of Arabic and Islamic studies and contribute effectively to the broader research profile of the Centre and the Faculty. Therefore, we are looking for candidates with proper experience in the field of teaching Arabic on an academic level, with a relevant and competent research profile, in the context of Islamic theology and religious studies.
- PhD degree in Arabic language, Islamic studies or a related specialization
- Excellent/near-native proficiency in Arabic with strong competence in Classical Arabic and MSA. Expertise in Islamic Theology/studies is highly preferable
- At least 3 years of experience in teaching Arabic at an academic level
- Fluency in Dutch and English (ability to use English-based methods is appreciated); International applicants with no command of Dutch will comply to follow language courses and to provide education in Dutch on short-term)
- Excellent teaching skills and affinity with teaching at an academic level, preferably verified with BKO, UTQ, or equivalent teaching qualification (or willing to acquire it on short-term)
- Internationally-oriented publication list, which reflects the number of years of professional and academic experience (after completion of PhD)
- Demonstrable ability to acquire research grants/funding
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,637 (scale 11)
and a maximum €5,656 (scale 12), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.6 FTE.
The initial employment contract will affect a period of 3 years, with the possibility of extension.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until April 26, 2020. The job interviews are planned for May 7th until May 14th. When possible please take them into account when applying for the position.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Dr. Yaser Ellethy
Position: Associate Professor