Assistant Professor in Design History and Theory (Tenure-track position)
Do you have a background in design studies? Do you enjoy teaching and are you interested in academic research related to design in a cultural context? Would you like to work with an enthusiastic, multidisciplinary team of design and arts scholars? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 32 uur
- € 3637 - € 4978 per maand
For our vacancy, starting 1 September 2020, we are particularly looking for a candidate with a profile in design history and theory. The candidate will develop courses and high-quality research on design in a cultural context. The candidate will teach in our interdisciplinary bachelor Media, Art, Design, and Architecture and in the master Design Cultures. The candidate is also expected to apply for external funding and perform tasks connected with the organisation of the program.
The successful candidate:
- holds a PhD in Design History and Theory, or Design Studies, or related discipline
- has experience in the history and theory of 20th and 21st-century Design.
- has published in international peer-reviewed journals or at a university press
- has an affinity with interdisciplinarity and has the capacity to work in a team
- has excellent teaching skills and is an engaged and inspiring lecturer, as proven by student-evaluations
- has potential to obtain or has experience with obtaining research grants
- has a basic qualification in teaching for Dutch universities ('BKO') or is willing to achieve this qualification in the near future.
- has a good command of both the Dutch and the English language (or is willing to learn Dutch)
ConditionsA tenure-track position in a socially involved organisation. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,637 (scale 11) and a maximum €4,978 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for 0.8 FTE.
The initial employment contract starts preferably at 1 September 2020 and is for a period of 5 years, with the possibility of a permanent contract.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalised benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter with your motivation, a list of your publications and three referees before 1 April 2020. The job interviews are planned for April and May 2020.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. dr. G.E.E. (Ginette) Verstraete
Position: chair Comparative Arts and Media
Telephone: +31 20 59 86567
Name: dr. J.C. (Javier) Gimeno Martinez
Position: programme director of MA Design Cultures