Assistant Professor in Foundational and Experimental Security (Tenure Track)
Are you an ambitious researcher in foundational and experimental security? Then Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam would like to get to know you!
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Vast contract
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 3637 - € 4978 per maand
The department of computer science at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is looking for an assistant professor in security within the new group on Foundational and Experimental Security -- to create a world-class security research cluster with multiple research pillars. A successful candidate will set up her/his own research line in the broad area of interest to foundational experimental security from risk analysis and security design to secure software engineering, from usable security and privacy to applied cryptography etc. We particularly seek candidates who have experimented with fundamental solutions and tried to show that they can work in practice (with users, in the field, etc.). We emphasize top research in a stimulating and fun environment, and we encourage our researchers to collaborate with groups both within and outside the department, and across disciplines.
Our philosophy is to hire the best person rather than hiring a person in a narrowly defined research area. Candidates should have a strong track record in their research area, as evidenced by, for instance, publications in high-quality venues, real-world impact like open-source/open-access projects, awards/grants, visibility, citations and ability to work in interdisciplinary groups. We especially encourage female applicants. In the case of equal suitability of candidates, preference will be given to a female candidate.
The tenure track position starts at the level of assistant professor in the areas of research, education and management (40%:40%:20%), and contains the following responsibilities:
- We seek an energetic and synergetic candidate that is eager to shape and lead their research
- Candidates will be expected, and offered the possibility, to supervise Ph.D. students
- We seek energetic colleagues that contribute to teaching in our bachelor/master programs in the form of 2-3 courses within the candidate’s area of expertise, as well as in the supervision of bachelor/master projects. The candidate will be encouraged to further improving education
- An important part of the position will be acquiring research funding
- A Ph.D. degree in Computer Science or a related field
- A high-quality publication track record in security-related research in conference proceedings or journals
- Good visibility and engagement in their research community
- Either in possession of, or willing to obtain, a teaching qualification ('BKO')
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of € 3.637,- (scale 11) and a maximum of € 4.978,- (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
This is a tenure track position; the initial appointment will be for a period of five years. Based on performance indicators agreed at the start of the appointment, a tenure track position will lead to a tenured position of UD1 in a period of maximally 5 years. In the fifth year of the appointment the tenure decision will be taken and a midterm review will take place in 2,5 years’ time after the starting date.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and a 8,3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses, optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 14 June 2020.
We would very much like to increase the number of women in the department. Therefore we prefer female candidates. Hence we will start this procedure with only inviting female applicants in the first 4 weeks. If this does not result in a match we will resume the procedure with male applicants. Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. Dr. Herbert Bos
Position: Full Professor
Telephone: +31 (0)20 87746
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam, and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Name: Wytske Siegersma
Position: Relocation Advisor
Telephone: +31 (20) 59 85037
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature