1 dag geleden - Universiteit Twente (UT) - Enschede
Assistant Professor position in Environmental Governance (tenure track)
Would you like to contribute to the sustainability transition and work in a team of outstanding environmental policy and governance experts? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 3637 - € 4978 per maand
The Assistant Professor hired for this position will join the Department of Environmental Policy Analysis (EPA) at the Institute for Environmental Studies (IVM). The successful candidate will have the responsibility to develop and implement innovative research related to the complexity of environmental governance across different levels of policy-making and across different policy fields, including climate and energy, biodiversity, food and agriculture, fresh water resources and oceans.
In addition to research, the successful candidate will be teaching at Bachelor and Master levels within the field of environmental policy and governance as well as supervising PhD dissertations, Master and Bachelor theses. Teaching and research at IVM are strongly linked, allowing for mutual cross-fertilization. While working closely with colleagues within the Department of Environmental Policy Analysis, the candidate is also expected to engage in interdisciplinary research establishing collaborations with researchers from other scientific disciplines, such as economics, geography, ecology, hydrology and climatology.
The successful candidate should have excellent empirical and analytical skills, a strong record with quantitative research methods, and experience working at the science-policy interface. The candidate should show academic leadership, maintain a high publication output, and raise competitive research funding. Teaching, research and management are respectively distributed following a 40%-40%-20% time and effort allocation. The desired starting date is February 2020.
- conduct innovative research by further developing existing research lines at EPA
- write research proposals for external funding
- teach and coordinate courses in BSc and MSc programmes, in particular in the Global Environmental Change and Policy (GEC&P) programme of our Earth Sciences Master
- teach and supervise PhD students as part of the nation-wide graduate school Netherlands Research School for Socio-Economic and natural Sciences of the Environment (SENSE)
- recruit and co-supervise PhD researchers
- fulfil limited managerial duties at the department and institute level, including managing European consultancy contracts for the department
- experience in environmental governance and policy and a related PhD degree
- record of publishing research on environmental governance in high quality academic journals
- experience in academic teaching at bachelor and master levels
- demonstrate a good understanding and application of quantitative methods
- experience with the policy-process, in particular at the EU-level
- good knowledge of one or more of the following policy areas: climate change, energy, water, biodiversity, agriculture, food, oceans
- evidence of prior interdisciplinary research and collaborations
- experience in acquiring and leading projects in the environmental governance domain
- be a team player
ConditionsA challenging and rewarding position in one of the world’s leading socio-environmental research institutes with the responsibility to play a strong role in research, teaching and have extra-academic social impact. We offer a tenure track position at the level of Assistant Professor, initially for the duration of 5 years. Within an agreed period, tenure will be achieved if the faculty criteria for Assistant Professor are fulfilled. During the tenure, the performance will be evaluated in terms of teaching, publication record, and acquisition of prestigious personal grants or equivalent project funding. After a successful evaluation, permanent employment will be granted.
On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary between €3,637 and 4,978 (scale 11), depending on education and experience. The job profile is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for a minimum of 0.8 FTE.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter before 18 October 2019. The job interviews are tentatively scheduled in week 11-15 November 2019, when possible please take them into account when applying for the position.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. Philipp Pattberg
Position: Head of Department Environmental Policy Analysis
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam, and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Name: Wytske Siegersma
Position: Relocation Advisor
Telephone: +31 20 59 8503