Assistant Professor (tenure track) Bioanalytical Chemistry
Are you a talented researcher who wants to excel in bioanalytical science working on state-of-the-art technologies to solve challenging (bio)pharmaceutical and life-science questions? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
The position is within the division of BioAnalytical Chemistry (BAC) and comprises research, teaching and management. The related research is in the field of bioanalytical sciences, with focus on characterization of complex samples for drug-discovery, biomedical and/or diagnostic purposes. The work encompasses development and application of advanced analytical platforms which combine high-resolution separation, structural assignment and/or assessment of bioactivity and function, also involving data-mining and other computational approaches.
We would very much like to increase the number of women in the department, therefore we encourage female candidates to apply.
The tenure track position is starting at the level of assistant professor in the areas of research, education and management (40%:40%:20%), and contains amongst others the following duties:
- you are able to strengthen and extend the BAC research program, also by seeking collaborations and synergies
- you are able to acquire and manage research funding
- you are able to (Co-)supervise PhD students, postdocs and technicians
- you demonstrate a creative research output publishing in well-recognised scientific journals
- you teach 2-3 courses a year from the BAC portfolio embedded in the department’s Bsc and Msc programs
- supervise Bsc and Msc students
- participate in division management and departmental activities
- research background and profile (incl. Phd thesis) in analytical sciences or other relevant field
- articles in peer-reviewed journals and lectures at international conferences
- experience in acquisition of external research funding
- demonstrable teaching skills, experience with supervising Bsc, Msc, and preferably Phd students
- basic qualification education (BKO), or be willing to acquire this in the first years of the appointment
- good communication and social skills
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organisation. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of € 3.637.- and a maximum € 4.978,- in accordance with salary scale 11, depending on your education and experience. The job profile (UD2) is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
This is a tenure track position; the initial appointment will be for a period of five years. Based on performance indicators agreed at the start of the appointment, a tenure track position will lead to a tenured position of UD1 in a period of maximally 5 years. In the fifth year of the appointment the tenure decision will be taken and a midterm review will take place in 2,5 years’ time after starting date.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalised benefits package
- excellent paid parental leave scheme
- child day-care facilities on campus
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 27 September 2019.
As mentioned, we would very much like to increase the number of women in the department, therefore we prefer female candidates. Hence we will start this procedure with only inviting female applicants in the first 4 weeks. If this does not result in a match we will resume the procedure with male applicants.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. dr. Govert Somsen
Position: Head of BAC and Professor of Biomolecular Analysis/Analytical Chemistry
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam, and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Name: Wytske Siegersma
Position: Relocation Advisor
Telephone: +31 (20) 59 85037