Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) Collaborative Ai
Do you want to contribute to developing collaborative AI, with a focus on fundamental research on personalised learning and long-term interaction? Do you want to work in close collaboration with our colleagues in the other AI research groups: Computational intelligence, Knowledge Representation and Reasoning, and Machine Learning? Then please apply for this Assistant Professor (tenure track) Collaborative AI position at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU).
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 3746 - € 5127 per maand
The research of the Social AI group (https://socialai.nl) aims to create hybrid AI systems where humans and machines collaborate, machines learn to adapt on how to interact with their users, and humans and machines teach each other to improve their individual and joint performance. We maintain a broad view where humans and machines can adopt the role of the teacher or the learner and investigate both directions, humans teaching machines and vice versa, using various applications as test cases. We are particularly interested in how we can personalize such interactions, by means of knowledge structures such as a memory of interactions in order to learn user profiles and ensure interaction remains engaging over time. Multi-modal perception is key to making effective interactive systems and expertise in this area is a pre, as is expertise in the design of such interactions using e.g., conversational AI, (social) robots, or other adaptive or knowledge-driven interfaces.
Our facilities (used for research as well teaching) include our Social AI lab with different hardware platforms such as the Nao and Pepper social robots, smart displays such as Google nest hubs. We are developing a cloud-based software platform for social interaction (https://socialrobotics.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/CBSR/overview).
The position includes research, education and management (40%:40%:20%) and contains among others the following responsibilities:
- performing research in Collaborative AI
- supervising PhD students
- teaching in the Bachelor and Master programmes of the Department of Computer Science
- supervising MSc/BSc student research projects in the Department
- contributing to and write research grant proposals
- contributing to administrative tasks
- a PhD degree in a relevant field and some years of scientific experience in post-doctoral research
- expertise in AI technologies that can contribute to improving collaboration between human and machines
- experience in setting up efficient, ethical, human subject studies and data collection
- interdisciplinary mindset and a good team player; experience in collaboration across teams, e.g. in large collaborative projects is a pre
- ideally, experience in teaching at BSc or MSc level
- ideally, some experience in PhD supervision
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,746 (scale 11) and a maximum €5,127 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
This is a tenure track position; the initial appointment will be for a period of five years. Based on performance indicators agreed at the start of the appointment, a tenure track position will lead to a tenured position of assistant professor 1 (scale 12) in a period of maximally 5 years. In the fifth year of the appointment the tenure decision will be taken and a midterm review will take place in 2,5 years’ time after the starting date.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you want to discuss whether your qualifications are satisfactory for applying to the position. We encourage women to apply for this position.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until June 15, 2021.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Koen Hindriks
Position: Full Professor
Telephone: +31 (20) 59 87763
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam, and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Name: Sara Veldhorst
Position: Relocation Advisor
Telephone: +31 (20) 59 86212