Assistant Professor | (Tenure Track) in molecular/cellular neuroscience
We are seeking talented neuroscientists with the ambition to apply their expertise in neuroscience and genetic brain disorders. Applicants should be ready to …
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
- € 3746 - € 5127 per maand
We are seeking talented neuroscientists with the ambition to apply their expertise in neuroscience and genetic brain disorders. Applicants should be ready to develop an independent and innovative research program using (human) cell models to explore new directions in brain research and help develop new cell models for brain disease. We are seeking candidates that have ample experience with state-of-the-art technology in the field, with an excellent publication record, at least as a first- and potentially also as a last author, and proven success in external grant acquisition. The successful candidate’s research program is expected to complement the strong neuroscience community within the department and center, for which significant infrastructure and operating funds are available.
Successful candidates are expected to:
- develop an innovative, independent research program, connecting to and augmenting existing research in the center, and resulting in scientific publications in the best, peer-reviewed journals
- support their research program with external funding
- supervise graduate students
- contribute to undergraduate teaching in neuroscience and/or genetics, at bachelor and master level
We are seeking an assistant professor with the following qualities and requirements:
- You have completed a PhD in molecular/cellular neurobiology, biophysics or related field
- You have at least three years of postdoctoral research experience outside the institute where the PhD degree was obtained
- You have a strong publication record, at least with first author papers in the best peer-reviewed journals
- You have been able to acquire external research funding
- You have a proven ability for academic supervision and training of students
- You have a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ/BKO), or are willing to obtain such a qualification
- You master the English language at CEFR C1/C2 level
You will be working at the department of Functional Genomics at the Center for Neurogenomics and Cognitive Research (www.cncr.nl) of the Vrije Universiteit and the Amsterdam UMC. The CNCR is one of the leading neuroscience institutes in Europe, with internationally recognized research programs in synapse biology, human neuroscience and complex trait genetics. You will have dedicated support of lab technicians available and free access to all equipment within the center. The department will support your research by offering a PhD-student or post-doc dedicated to work with you to promote integration in the host institute’s research.
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,746 (scale 11) and a maximum €5,127 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for 1 FTE (38 hrs).
We offer a tenure-track position at the level of Assistant Professor, initially for the duration of 5 years. Within an agreed period, tenure could be achieved if the faculty criteria for Assistant Professor are fulfilled. During the tenure, the performance will be evaluated in terms of publication record, and acquisition of personal grants or equivalent project funding and teaching. After a successful evaluation, permanent employment is granted.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until October 1, 2021. The following supporting documents are required (please submit as single pdf):
- a cover letter
- curriculum vitae, incl. publication list with first/last author papers separated from collaborative work
- a short statement of research
- the names and contact information of three referees
When short-listed for the position, an in-person interview and presentation before the end of 2021 will be required. Target start date: Jan 1st, 2022.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: prof. Matthijs Verhage
Position: Head of the department of Functional Genomics
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam, and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Position: Relocation Advisor
Telephone number: + 31 20 5985037