Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) in Science, Business & Innovation
The division of Science, Business & Innovation has an opening for an enthusiastic scientist who is able to integrate natural and social science for innovation in a business- and market-oriented context. Are you interested in teaching, researching and valorizing science-based knowledge at the intersection of academia and business? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 3637 - € 4978 per maand
We are looking for a candidate who is able and motivated to work at the intersection of natural science and social science, with the aim to teach, research and valorize natural science-induced and technology-driven innovation in a business- and market-based context. The position is one of the pivotal positions in the Science, Business & Innovation (SBI) division, which focuses on the R&D-to-market chains of inventions and breakthroughs in sustainable energy & sustainability and in life & health sciences. Important topics that are integrated by the division are: sustainable energy, sustainability, life & health, entrepreneurship, innovation, business, and markets.
Gender balance and diversity are important to us: Female candidates and/or minorities are particularly encouraged to apply. In the case of equal suitability of candidates, preference will be given to female candidates/minorities.
- Coordinate and teach attractive and state-of-the-art courses and projects in the area of natural science-induced and technology-driven innovation in a business- and market-context
- Conduct creative and frontrunning research in the field of natural science-induced and technology-driven innovation in a business- and market-context.
- Develop and maintain a sparkling network of contacts in academia, governments and business and use this network for mutual valorization purposes
- Communicate and collaborate with various stakeholders in the R&D-to-market chain for research, education and valorization
- Acquire external funding for research and supervise PhD students.
- Participate in management tasks in the division
- You have completed a PhD degree in an area that focuses on or relates to science-induced and technology-driven innovation in a business- and market setting
- You have experience in research, teaching and valorization in the focal areas of the SBI division
- You have demonstrated an ability to initiate and build a coherent research line
- You have a basic teaching qualification (BKO), or an equivalent qualification from a university outside the Netherlands or are willing to obtain such a qualification during your tenure/career track
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,637 (scale 11)
and a maximum €4,978 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 1 FTE.
We offer a tenure-track position at the level of Assistant Professor, initially for the duration of 5 years. Within an agreed period, tenure could be achieved if the faculty criteria for Assistant Professor are fulfilled. During the tenure, the performance will be evaluated in terms of teaching, publication record, and acquisition of prestigious personal grants or equivalent project funding. After a successful evaluation, a permanent contract will be granted.
The tenure track position is starting at the level of assistant professor in the areas of research, teaching and management.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment,
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus,
- solid pension scheme (ABP),
- contribution to commuting expenses,
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 15 April 2020. The job interviews are planned for April/May 2020; when possible please take them into account when applying for the position.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof.dr. P.C. van der Sijde
Position: Professor in Science, Business & Innovation
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam, and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Name: Wytske Siegersma
Position: Relocation Advisor
Telephone: +31 20 59 85037