Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) in Security
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 3637 - € 4978 per maand
The department of computer science at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is looking for an assistant professor in security within the VUSec systems security group (https://vusec.net) -- to create a world-class security research cluster with multiple research pillars. A successful candidate will set up her/his own research line in any area of systems security, such as operating systems security, programming languages security, hardware security, fuzzing, web security, etc. We emphasize top research in a stimulating and fun environment, and we encourage our researchers to collaborate with groups both within and outside the department. Our philosophy is to hire the best person rather than hiring a person in a narrowly defined research area. Candidates should have a strong track record in their research area, as evidenced by, for instance, publications in high-quality venues, real-world impact like open-source/open-access projects, awards/grants, visibility, and citations. We especially encourage female applicants. In the case of equal suitability of candidates, preference will be given to a female candidate.Key responsibilities
- We seek an energetic and synergetic candidate that is eager to shape and lead their research
- Candidates will be expected, and offered the possibility, to supervise Ph.D. students
- We seek energetic colleagues that contribute to teaching in our bachelor/master programs in the form of 2-3 courses within the candidate’s area of expertise, as well as in the supervision of bachelor/master projects. The candidate will be encouraged to further improving education
- An important part of the position will be acquiring research funding
- A Ph.D. degree in Computer Science or a strongly related field
- A high-quality publication track record in security research in both conference proceedings and journals
- Good visibility and engagement in their research community
- Either in possession of, or willing to obtain, a teaching qualification ('BKO')
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,637 (scale 11)
and a maximum €4,978 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: Assistant Professor 2, is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
We offer a tenure-track position at the level of Assistant Professor, initially for the duration of 5 years. Within an agreed period, tenure could be achieved if the faculty criteria for Assistant Professor are fulfilled. During the tenure, the performance will be evaluated in terms of teaching, publication record, and acquisition of personal grants or equivalent project funding. After a successful evaluation, a permanent contract will be given.
The tenure track position is starting at the level of assistant professor in the areas of research, teaching and management.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment,
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 30 April 2020.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. Dr. Herbert Bos
Position: Full Professor
Telephone: +31 (0)20 87746
Relocation support If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam, and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact: Name: Wytske Siegersma Position: Relocation Advisor E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: +31 (20) 59 85037