Assistant professor (tenure track) in Sedimentology
Are you an outstanding researcher in sedimentology and/or related fields with an innovative view on sedimentary systems? And do you want to make a contribution our Earth Science department through excellence in research and teaching? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
We are looking for a highly motivated colleague that will strengthen our team to develop new lines of research within the field of sedimentology with a strong commitment to lab and field based research. A natural link with the current expertise in our group (biogenic carbonates, stable isotopes and/or geochronology) is required. The position also entails teaching in sedimentology and sub-surface oriented courses and supervision of BSc and MSc research projects. Managerial tasks will be part of the job.
Gender balance and diversity is important to us: Female candidates and minorities are particularly encouraged to apply for this position. In the case of equal suitability of candidates, preference will be given to female candidates.
- you are able and motivated to carry out creative research in the field of sedimentology and publish your research results in high-profile journals
- you aim at dissemination and impact on the field as witnessed by citations and lectures at (international) conferences and/or institutes
- you are able to translate your academic expertise into effective collaborations with partners in academia and/or industry
- you have proven experience of acquisition of external funding for research, or a track record that makes this highly feasible
- on the longer term, you are expected to build up a successful group around your field of expertise and supervise PhD research projects
- you are able to teach within the Earth Science programmes and have experience and/or affinity with educational tasks such as course coordination
- you are responsible for the development and supervision of BSc and MSc student thesis projects (min. 2-3 projects/year) that include both field and lab components
- you are expected to participate in managerial tasks of the department
- you have a completed PhD degree in the Earth Sciences or comparable, with proven expertise in sedimentology
- you have several years of research experience (proven by publications) and/or at least 2 years of experience in non-academic research organisations or related industry (proven by publications/ reports and project acquisition)
- you have the ability to initiate and build up an independent line of research
- you have a basic teaching qualification (BKO), an equivalent title from a university outside the Netherlands, or are willing to obtain such a certificate
- the department offers BSc courses in Dutch, and MSc courses in the English language. Although not a requirement at the date of appointment, it is expected that you will reach a C1 level in both Dutch and English on the longer term
- you have some experience in teaching in the field of Earth Sciences
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,637 (scale 11)
and a maximum €4,978 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
We offer a tenure-track position at the level of Assistant Professor, initially for the duration of 6 years. Within an agreed period, tenure could be achieved if the faculty criteria for Assistant Professor are fulfilled. During the tenure, the performance will be evaluated in terms of teaching, publication record, and acquisition of prestigious personal grants or equivalent project funding. After a successful evaluation, permanent employment will be granted.The tenure track position is starting at the level of assistant professor in the areas of research, education and management (40% : 40% : 20%).
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
- good paid parental leave scheme
- child daycare facilities available on campus
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 30 september 2019. The job interviews are planned for October, 2019, when possible please take this into account when applying for the position.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Klaudia Kuiper
Position: Prof. dr. K.F. Kuiper
Telephone: +31 20 5983559
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam, and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Name: Wytske Siegersma
Position: Relocation Advisor
Telephone: +31 20 59 8503
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature