Ongeveer 12 uur geleden - Universiteit Utrecht (UU) - Utrecht
Assistant professor (tenure track) in the life and environmental sciences
Are you passionate about research and teaching, and would you like to work in a multidisciplinary team in the field of environmental sciences and life sciences? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 3746 - € 5127 per maand
We are looking for two tenure track candidates to join the new Amsterdam Institute for Life and Environment (A-LIFE) in the Faculty of Science of the Vrije Universiteit.
A-LIFE brings together the groups of Molecular Cell Biology, Environment & Health, and Ecological Sciences, with the aim to advance the fundamental understanding of the interplay between life and its environment.
A-LIFE seeks to connect properties and emergent behaviors across all scales, from molecules to ecosystems, including human populations.
The research of the department covers a broad range of research topics, including ecology and evolution, microbiology, (eco)toxicology and analytical chemistry of pollutants, global change biology, and biotechnology, and the associated state-of-the-art methods and technologies, both computational and experimental.
We aim to inspire our students and to apply our expertise to shape a sustainable future and support healthy living.The current research themes of the sections of A-LIFE are:
- bacterial cell envelopes: biogenesis, structure, function in host-pathogen interactions, development of antibiotics/vaccines, and applications in biotechnology
- molecular and cellular networks giving rise to the function and physiology of microbes, from fundamental principles to applications in biotechnology and medical biology
- organismal functional traits and their role in global change responses, biotic interactions, and their impacts on communities, ecosystems, and climate
- ecological and evolutionary processes driving the emergence of biodiversity, organismal behavior, and ecosystem health.
- exposure and fate assessment of classic, emerging, and bioactive contaminants in humans and the environment by target analysis, suspect and non-target screening, and effect-directed analysis
- investigation of the mode of action of contaminants from molecular initiating event to adverse outcomes, through the development of in vitro bioassays, zebrafish, and invertebrate models, metabolomics approaches, and through epidemiological studies.
- develop a largely externally funded research programme in your research field
- develop and promote academic leadership
- teach Bachelor and Master level courses and supervise student projects
- provide high-quality training and supervision to PhD students and postdocs
- engage in professional development activities related to teaching
- maintain an output of high-quality publications
- In the longer term, build up a successful group around your field of expertise
- fulfill limited administrative duties in support of the strong teaching and research base
- a PhD degree in a relevant field fitting A-LIFE’s research themes
- research interest and academic track record in a relevant field fitting A-LIFE’s research themes
- experience in university-level teaching is preferred
- a research profile that enables the bridging of multidisciplinary research across the themes of A-LIFE
- excellent communication skills (written and spoken English) and motivation to work in a team
- proficiency in the Dutch language is not required, but the successful candidate is expected to develop at least a passive proficiency in the first three years after the appointment
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. On a full-time basis, the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,746 (scale 11)
and a maximum of €5,127 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
We offer a tenure track position at the level of assistant professor 2, initially for the duration of 6 years. During this period, performance will be evaluated in terms of teaching, publication record, and acquisition of prestigious personal grants or equivalent project funding. After a successful evaluation based on a tenure track plan and well-defined criteria, permanent employment will be granted at the level of assistant professor 1 (scale 12).
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of paid annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus in addition to a regular salary
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
- possibility to save holiday hours, for sabbatical leave
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload the following documents until September 9, 2021.
- a letter in which you describe your abilities and motivation
- your curriculum vitae
- a research statement (max. 2 pages, A4 paper size)
- a teaching statement (max. 2 pages, A4 paper size) and
- two letters of recommendation
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Prof. dr. Marja Lamoree
Telephone number: +31 20 598 9573
Prof. dr. Bas Teusink
Telephone number: +31 20 5989435
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Position: Relocation Advisor
Telephone number: + 31 20 5985037