ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (TENURE TRACK) Knowledge-informed Learning
We seek a new colleague who will contribute to our research on
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 3746 - € 5127 per maand
We are aiming to exploit the structure and content of symbolic representations to improve the machine learning process. We expect the combination of symbolic knowledge, already available at large scale in many domains, with the latest generation of machine learning techniques to contribute to more sample-efficient learning, better out-of-sample generalisation, reusable compositional models, learning under safety constraints and increased explainability. We are, among others, interested in approaches such as learning under symbolic constraints, learning using knowledge-based abstractions, learning on knowledge graphs, or knowledge-based explainable learning. Possible application domains that would benefit from this work are multi-modal human-AI interaction, medical AI and autonomous AI.
The position includes research, education and management (40%:40%:20%) and contains among others the following responsibilities:
- performing research on knowledge-informed learning
- supervising PhD students
- teaching in the Bachelor and Master programmes of the Department of Computer Science
- supervising MSc/BSc student research projects in the Department
- contributing to and write research grant proposals
- contributing to administrative tasks
- a PhD degree in AI or closely related area plus some years experience in post-doctoral research
- a track record of published work on the boundary of data-driven and knowledge-driven AI
- academic teaching experience including the supervision of MSc and PhD students
- experience in collaborative research and an interdisciplinary mindset
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,746 (scale 11) and a maximum €5,127 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
This is a tenure track position; the initial appointment will be for a period of five years. Based on performance indicators agreed at the start of the appointment, a tenure track position will lead to a tenured position of assistant professor 1 (scale 12) in a period of maximally 5 years. In the fifth year of the appointment the tenure decision will be taken and a midterm review will take place in 2,5 years’ time after the starting date.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you want to discuss whether your qualifications are satisfactory for applying to the position. We encourage women to apply for this position.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 15 June 2021.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Frank van Harmelen
Position: Full Professor
Telephone: +31 (20) 59 87731
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam, and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Name: Sara Veldhorst
Position: Relocation Advisor
Telephone: +31 (20) 59 86212