1 dag geleden - Universiteit Twente (UT) - Enschede
Assistant Professor (UD) in Comparative Politics
Are you a political scientist with an interest in political institutions and behaviour in an international context? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
The Department of Political Science and Public Administration is committed to high quality academic education and research. Our educational programmes include political science (bachelor and master), governance and organisation (bachelor), public administration (master), philosophy, politics and economics (bachelor, with the faculties of Humanities and Economics), and law and politics of international security (master, with the Law Faculty). Our research is organized in two programmes: Multi-level governance and New modes of public governance. A central theme in our teaching and research in political science is the way in which domestic politics and international relations have become systematically interconnected.
The Department seeks an Assistant Professor in Political Science with a specialisation in quantitative comparative politics. Thematically, the preferred candidate holds expertise in political behaviour in advanced democracies, with a particular eye for broader transnational trends that affect this behaviour and the various ways in which such trends are mediated by national institutional systems. We are looking for a candidate who is enthusiastic to teach courses on political institutions, political behaviour, quantitative methods and policy-making. The candidate is to hold a PhD in political science and to have a strong methodological background, including experience with state-of-the-art quantitative methods. S/he is to have a proven track record of international publications, an appealing research agenda and the potential to acquire research subsidies.
The Assistant Professor contributes to the research programme of Political Science entitled "Multi-Layered Governance in EUrope and beyond". S/he will
conduct research, publish this in international, refereed journals and, where possible, disseminate the findings to a wider public. The Assistant Professor is
expected to teach a variety of courses in political science at Bachelor and Master level, possibly also including the VU Bachelor in Philosophy, Politics and
Economics. S/he will be active in acquiring external research funding, alone or with colleagues, and s/he may co-supervise PhD candidates.
We offer a position in a lively and engaged department that is dedicated to good teaching and maintains strong contacts with societal partners. At a faculty level, we offer professional support for the acquisition of research subsidies through the research faculty’s institute, the Institute for Societal Resilience. At the interfaculty level we benefit from thematic cross-faculty collaborations around the VU-theme ‘Governance for society’ and more specific themes in the fields of, among others, security, welfare, care and migration
- undertake independent research and realize international peer-reviewed publications
- apply for external research funding
- teach and coordinate a variety of courses in political science at the bachelor and the master level
- co-supervise PhD students
- take on managerial duties at the assistant professor level
- participate constructively and positively in the Department of Political Science and Public Administration
- a PhD degree in political science
- demonstrable experience with high-quality teaching in political science
- proven track record in publishing in international refereed journals
- demonstrable expertise in political science methods and a good command of state-of-the-art quantitative methods
- an attractive research agenda that fits the political science research programme “Multi-layered governance in EUrope and beyond”
- willingness to acquire external research funding
- excellent command of the English language
- a willingness to learn Dutch (for non-Dutch applicants)
- the ability to work in a team as well as independently
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,637 (scale 11)
and a maximum €4,978 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 1 FTE.
Foreign candidates may be entitled to a 30% tax break, upon approval of the Dutch tax agency.
The envisioned starting date is 1 January 2020. The appointment will be initially for 50 months. After satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, the intention is to turn the positon into a permanent one.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
- child daycare facilities available on campus
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae, cover letter describing your abilities and motivation and a one-page document detailing future research plans before 28 October 2019.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Ben Crum
Position: Professor of Political Science