Ongeveer 12 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Eindhoven - Eindhoven
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (UD) in POLITICAL SCIENCE (tenure track)
Are you a political scientist with an interest in political actors and institutions in an international context? Then, please apply for the position of: Assistant Professor (UD) in Political Science (tenure track) at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU).
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
- € 3746 - € 5127 per maand
The Department of Political Science and Public Administration is committed to high quality academic education and research. Our educational programmes include political science (bachelor and master), governance and organisation (bachelor), public administration (master), philosophy, politics and economics (bachelor, with the faculties of Humanities and Economics), and law and politics of international security (master, with the Law Faculty). Our research is organized in two programmes: ‘Multi-layered governance in Europe and beyond’ and ‘New modes of public governance’. A central theme in our teaching and research in political science is the way in which domestic politics and international relations have become systematically interconnected.
We are searching for an Assistant Professor in Political Science who studies political actors and institutions in an international context. As Assistant Professor, you will be involved in teaching and research on a tenure track contract of 50 months, starting in September 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter. If the tenure track is completed successfully, you will be promoted to a permanent position from Assistant Professor 2 to Assistant Professor 1.
Specifically, we are looking for someone whose research agenda speaks to one (or more) of the fundamental societal challenges that are central in our research program – democracy, inequality, security, and climate change – and whose research straddles the national and the international level of politics. We especially welcome candidates with distinctive quantitative and/or qualitative methodological skills, which they can also convey to students in teaching and supervision. You need to hold a PhD in political science and, ideally, can demonstrate experience in teaching as well as positive evaluations thereof. We expect you to maintain international research networks, to have a proven track record of high-quality international publications, and to have the potential to acquire research grants.
As Assistant Professor, you are expected to be able to teach a variety of courses in political science at Bachelor and Master level, possibly also including the VU Bachelor in Philosophy, Politics and Economics. In the role of researcher, you contribute to the research programme of Political Science ‘Multi-Layered Governance in Europe and beyond’. You will conduct research, publish this in international, refereed journals and, where possible, disseminate the findings to a wider public. Besides, you will be active in acquiring external research funding, alone or with colleagues, and you may co-supervise PhD candidates.
- teach and coordinate a variety of courses in political science at the bachelor and the master level
- undertake independent research and realize international peer-reviewed publications
- apply for external research funding
- take on (minor) managerial duties
- where appropriate, co-supervise PhD students and mentor students and junior colleagues
- actively contribute to the scholarly community of the Department of Political Science and Public Administration
- a PhD degree in political science
- a proven track record in publishing in high-quality international refereed journals
- an attractive research agenda that fits the political science research programme “Multi-layered governance in Europe and beyond”
- preferably, demonstrable experience with high-quality teaching in political science
- willingness to acquire external research funding
- excellent command of the English language
- a willingness to acquire a working knowledge of the Dutch language within two years of the appointment (for non-Dutch applicants)
- the ability to work in a team as well as independently
ConditionsA challenging position in a highly committed team within a societally engaged university. The job profile is based on the university job ranking system Universitair Docent 2 (UFO) and is vacant for 1.0 FTE. The job involves a tenure track from Assistant Professor 2 to a permanent position as Assistant Professor 1 in 50 months’ time. In the first two years, the time devoted to teaching and research is 50/50. Afterwards, the standard share is 70% teaching and 30% research. The initial contract will be 50 months with the prospect of a permanency.
On a full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3746 (scale 11.0) and a maximum € 5127 (scale 11.11), depending on your educational level and experience. Foreign candidates may be entitled to a 30% tax break, upon approval of the Dutch tax agency.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Given the current composition of the department, we especially welcome applications by members of underrepresented groups.
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until June 25, 2021.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Ben Crum
Position: Professor of Political Science