This is a part-time position (0.3-0.4 FTE) in the RPWDE section. The Professor will be the lead of the Ports and Waterways group and will be responsible for th…
Assistant Professor User-Centric Data Science (Tenure Track)
The candidate will teach at undergraduate and postgraduate level, undertake research in line with the Departmental research strategy, and to participate in Departmental administration. Specifically, she/he will be expected to: • Support the teaching objectives ...
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 uur
- € 3475 - € 5405 per maand
The candidate will teach at undergraduate and postgraduate level, undertake research in line with the Departmental research strategy, and to participate in Departmental administration. Specifically, she/he will be expected to:
• Support the teaching objectives of the Department by a range of contributions to its teaching activities; deliver teaching of the highest quality across a range of modules and to all levels, through lectures, tutorials, practicals and seminars; monitor, evaluate and revise course design to ensure excellence and coherence; develop courses and curricula as part of the bachelor 'Information, Multimedia and Management', the master Information Sciences and Digital Humanities minor programmes.
• Develop the research activities of the Department by sustaining a personal research plan; establish new and strengthen existing collaborations with humanities institutes and other (industry) partners; contribute and develop innovative research proposals, projects and funding bids as self-contained items or as part of a broader programme.
• Carry out management and administrative tasks associated with research and teaching activities, including risk assessment of project activities, organization of project meetings and documentation and preparation of annual reports; execute procedures required to ensure accurate and timely formal reporting and financial control; contribute to the efficient management and administration of the Department by performing personal administrative duties as allocated by the Head and by taking on appropriate coordinating roles.
We expect the candidate to work with researchers from other disciplines across the University and from around the world. Successful candidates:
• Have a strong track record in education at the BSc. and MSc. level, including course design, course coordination and lecturing;
• Have experience in both the supervision of (BSc. and MSc.) student projects as well as coordination of supervision activities
• Will have a background in Computer Science, with a track record in a core Data Science research area, preferably with focus on the Semantic Web, users and their context;
• Will have experience in applying this research in multi-disciplinary domains typically addressed in the Web&Media group (for example Digital Humanities, Cultural Heritage, ICT for Development, Online Multimedia Access);
• Have basic qualification as university teacher (BKO) and is willing to expand this qualification.
For tenure-track positions, the initial appointment will be for a period between four and five years. Based on performance indicators agreed at the start of the appointment, a tenure track position will lead to a tenured position in a period of maximally 5 years. In the fifth year of the appointment the tenure decision will be taken.
You can find information about our excellent employment conditions at http://www.workingatvu.nl such as:
• Remuneration of 8,3% end-of-year bonus and 8% holiday allowance;
• Solid pension scheme (ABP);
• A minimum of 29 holidays In case of full-time employment;
• Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave.
The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel, and depending on experience, range from a minimum of € 3,475.00 gross per month (salary scale 11) up to a maximum of € 5,405.00 gross per month (salary scale 12) based on a full-time employment (CAO NU).
For additional information please contact:
Prof. dr. Lora Aroyo
phone: +31 20 59 82868
Department of Computer Sciences: http://www.cs.vu.nl
Applicants are requested to write a letter in which they describe their abilities and motivation, accompanied by a teaching statement, research statement and curriculum vitae, as well as two or three references (name(s) and e-mail address(es)).
Applications should be sent by email attn. Mrs. Mojca Lovrencak before August 17th, 2017. Please mention the vacancy number in the e-mail header.
Any other correspondence in response to this advertisement will not be dealt with.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) is a leading, innovative and growing university that is at the heart of society and actively contributes to new developments in teaching and research. Our university has ten faculties, and provides work for over 4,500 staff and scientific education for more than 23,000 students.
Research at the Faculty of Sciences focuses on the areas of Life & Health, Networked World, Fundamentals of Science, and Energy & Sustainability. The faculty’s teaching activities are directly linked to this excellent research. Cooperation with other faculties on the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam campus generates attractive, high-quality Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes. At international level, the faculty cooperates closely with leading scientific institutes and other partners.
The VUA Department of Computer Science has approximately 170 members, including 35 tenured staff members and 40-50 PhD students. The tenured staff members form the essential basis for the functioning of the department. A tenured staff member is required to make significant contributions to the research and education programmes, and to spend effort on specific tasks at the department level.
The department is inviting applications for an assistant professor position in User-Centric Data Science. The focus on addressing, modeling and representing users and their context is a rapidly emerging core scientific challenge that allows for more personalized interaction with semantic web applications. The department hosts one of the pioneering research teams in this exciting field. As a member of the VUA's Network Institute, the department is actively involved in user-oriented research in collaboration with scholars from social science, law, economics and humanities.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature