Associate / Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) Human Computer Interaction
Are you a talented computer scientist with a proven background in human computer interaction? Then Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam would like to get to know you.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 3746 - € 6317 per maand
The department of Computer Science at the VU maintains highly successful programs in various areas, including AI, Bioinformatics, Computer Systems and Security, Software Engineering and Green Computing, and User-Centric Data Science. We would like to expand our department with a renewed focus on research and teaching in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI).
The candidate will be able to develop a research program within a broad range of HCI topics, from novel user interfaces for traditional screen-based systems, to “beyond-the-screen” interfaces, including UX in robotics and Internet of Things applications.
In addition to personal research, the new position includes teaching opportunities in various topics related to HCI in the Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence and Information Sciences educational programs.
We are particularly interested in attracting an academic team player who will work with other research groups to establish new research synergies. We provide targeted funding for supporting such new collaborations. We are looking for experienced HCI researchers with proven experience in obtaining research grants and who have been (co)supervisor of successful PhD students.
The position includes research, education and management (40%:40%:20%) and contains amongst others the following responsibilities:
- We seek an energetic and synergetic candidate that is eager to shape and lead a HCI research program.
- Candidates will be expected to build an active national and international network in their field.
- Candidates will be expected to contribute to teaching in our bachelor and master programs by initiating/developing and planning 2-3 courses within the area of HCI, as well as in the supervision of bachelor and master thesis projects. The candidate will be encouraged to further improving education.
- Where relevant, we encourage collaboration between the existing groups in the department.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: While we are looking for candidates at the level of associate professor, but also welcome applications from candidates at the level of assistant professor. We only have one vacant position so we can only hire one candidate.
- A PhD degree in Computer Science or closely related field.
- A proven track record in academic teaching with good teaching evaluations.
- Academic publication profile showing experience in HCI research and/or related fields.
- Either in possession of, or willing to obtain, a teaching qualification ('BKO').
- Good interpersonal communication skills.
- English language proficiency.
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization.
On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €5,190 (scale 13) and a maximum €6,317 (scale 13), depending on your education and experience. (for the position of associate professor). Or to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,746 (scale 11) and a maximum €5,127 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. (for the position of assistant professor) The job profiles: associate professor level 2 or assistant professor level 2 are based on the university job ranking system. The position is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE
This is a tenure track position; the initial appointment will be for a period of five years. Based on performance indicators agreed at the start of the appointment, a tenure track position will lead to a tenured position of associate professor 1 (scale 14) or assistant professor 1 (scale 12) in a period of maximally 5 years. In the fifth year of the appointment the tenure decision will be taken and a midterm review will take place in 2,5 years’ time after the starting date.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment,
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus,
- solid pension scheme (ABP),
- contribution to commuting expenses,
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 15 February 2021.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Jacco van Ossenbruggen
Position: Full Professor
Telephone: +31 (20) 59 82868
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam, and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Name: Wytske Siegersma
Position: Relocation Advisor
Telephone: +31 (20) 59 85037