Associate professor (Tenure Track) Adaptive Software
Are you an excellent and ambitious researcher and is your aim to research novel approaches for adaptive software in modern software-intensive systems? Then Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam would like to get to know you. Apply for the position of:
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 5039 - € 6133 per maand
Recognizing that society is increasingly digital and that the ability of software to cope with change is pivotal for a successful digitalization, the department of computer science at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is looking for an associate professor to establish a strong profile in various topics related to adaptive software (AS) research, and contribute to our computer science bachelor/master programs as well as our information sciences master program.
Our philosophy is to hire the best person rather than hiring someone in a narrowly defined research area. She/He will initiate, conduct and supervise high-quality research aiming to address the increasing complexity and uncertainty that modern software-intensive systems have to cope with. The software ability to support complex, multi-stakeholder environments and adapt to anticipated and unanticipated change calls for research in (but not limited to) requirements engineering, software architecture design decision making, software sustainability modeling, assessment, management and monitoring, methodologies for software design, evolution, optimization, and adaptation.
We especially encourage women applicants. In the case of equal suitability of candidates, preference will be given to a female candidate.
While we are looking for candidates at the level of associate professor, we welcome applications from candidates at higher levels.The tenure track position is starting at the level of associate professor in the areas of research, education and management (40%:40%:20%), and contains amongst others the following responsibilities:
- We seek an energetic and synergetic candidate that is eager to shape and lead their research
- Candidates will be expected to contribute to teaching in our bachelor and master programs by initiating/developing and planning 2-3 courses within the area of adaptive software, as well as in the supervision of bachelor and master thesis projects. The candidate will be encouraged to further improving education
- Where relevant, we encourage collaboration between the existing groups in the department
- A Ph.D. degree in Computer Science or a strongly related field
- A high-quality publication track record in related research in both conference proceedings and journals
- Good visibility and engagement in their research community
- Ability to acquire research grants
- Either in possession of, or willing to obtain, a teaching qualification ('BKO')
- Good teaching skills, witnessed by good teaching evaluations
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- English language proficiency
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €5,039 (scale 13)
and a maximum €6,738 (scale 13), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: associate professor is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
This is a tenure track position; the initial appointment will be for a period of five years. Based on performance indicators agreed at the start of the appointment, a tenure track position will lead to a tenured position of UHD 1 in a period of maximally 5 years. In the fifth year of the appointment the tenure decision will be taken and a midterm review will take place in 2,5 years’ time after starting date.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 31 May 2020.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. Dr. Patricia Lago
Position: Full Professor
Telephone: +31 (0)20 59 87745
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam, and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Name: Wytske Siegersma
Position: Relocation Advisor
Telephone: +31 (20) 59 85037