Early-career researcher land use trajectories
Do you want to make a contribution to the sustainable management of European Landscapes? Do you like the work of the TERRANOVA project (www.terranova-itn.eu)? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
- € 2434 - € 3111 per maand
The Early-Career Researcher position is part of the European Training Network TERRANOVA (H2020 ITN) in which 15 fellows collaborate to increase long-term understanding of landscape histories and land use strategies in Europe. This one year position will investigate future pathways of land use development, their impacts on Ecosystem Services, at European scale. There will be special focus on analyzing trade-offs between alternative land use options and the optimization/prioritization of land use planning to support sustainable land use development in Europe. As a junior researcher you will do GIS analysis, spatial modelling and write a scientific paper on the results, as well as contributing to policy-relevant documents.
While the position is in principle for one year, in case of good performance and availability of funding, the position can be prolonged into a full PhD position.
- analyze literature, conducts spatial analysis and modelling
- publish a scientific paper and deliver synthesis
- interact and collaborate with other researchers in the project
- participate in TerraNova project events
- outstanding MA/MSc (or equivalent degree) in Environmental Sciences, Geography or related fields
- previous experience in working with Geographical Information Systems
- interdisciplinary skills and strong interest in environmental issues, land-use, and ecology
- good writing skills
- work or study outside the Netherlands is an important experience of the successful candidate following the eligibility requirements of Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA)
- a challenging position in a socially involved organization
- participation in a team of leading scientists in different fields of academia and commerce (science, landscape management, modelling and imaging techniques)
- an EU fellowship in which you will develop multi-, inter- and transdisciplinary research skills, and take part in programme training activitiesthe opportunity to establish a professional network in academia, business organizations and NGO’s
- internships and visits to different disciplinary institutes within industry and academia
The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel and amounts €2,325 per month during the first year, based on a full-time employment. Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until November 5, 2021.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Peter Verburg