Full Professor Analytics of Biomolecular Interactions
Are you ambitious to become a leader in bio-analytical sciences and do you have a strong record in the development of cutting-edge analytical technologies solving life-science queries? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
The chair Analytics of Biomolecular Interactions is positioned within the division of Bio-Analytical Chemistry (BAC) of the Department of Chemistry & Pharmaceutical Sciences (CPS), and will further strengthen the excellence in analytical sciences in Amsterdam. The chair will develop and apply new and improved analytical and biophysical approaches that evaluate and employ biomolecular binding and affinity, linking chemical structure and biological function. Focus is on biomolecular interactions which play a role in e.g. biochemical signaling, metabolic pathways, or in drug discovery and development. The chair will also develop analytical tools that use molecular interactions for the selective separation, isolation and/or detection of biomolecules in targeted and untargeted approaches. Mass spectrometry, advanced separation techniques, and molecular spectroscopy (and a combination thereof) will be predominant analytical tools.
We strongly encourage women to apply for this position. In the case of equal suitability of candidates, preference will be given to a female candidate.
- you are able to play a leading role in the research program of the division and the department
- you are able to play a central role in shaping and teaching the education portfolio of the division as embedded in the BSc and MSc programs of CPS
- you have experience with supervising, motivating and coaching of PhD and MSc students, postdocs, and a technician
- you are able to acquire and manage national and international research grants
- you engage and manage research projects and collaborations with academic, industrial and governmental partners
- you demonstrate a continuous and creative output publishing in well-respected journals
- you are able to perform managerial tasks for the division and the department
- you play an active role in local, national and international research platforms
- you have a PhD degree and a strong track record in the field of interest as demonstrated by well-cited publications in top-10 journals of the field and/or relevant experience gained from research within industry or the public sector
- you have proven ability and/or potency to attract external grants in order to finance research
- you demonstrate strong capabilities of leadership, management, collaboration, innovation and valorization
- you are an inspiring teacher with a track record in undergraduate and/or graduate teaching programs
- you have a basic qualification in teaching ('BKO') or willingness to attain this within two years after appointment
- you are fluent in English and (if appropriate) are willing to learn to speak Dutch
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of € 5582.- and a maximum of € 8127,- in accordance with salary scale H2, depending on your experience. The job profile (full professor) is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for 1.0 FTE.
The initial employment contract will affect a period of 1 year, with the possibility of extension.
Promising junior candidates who do not yet meet all mentioned requirements, will also be seriously considered for this position and are encouraged to apply. Such a candidate will initially be appointed as Associate Professor for 5 years after which, on condition of adequate progress and performance, she/he will be promoted to the rank of Full Professor.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- good child daycare facilities available on campus
- good paid parental leave arrangement
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 30 September 2019.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. dr. Govert W. Somsen
Position: Head of BAC and Professor of Biomolecular Analysis/Analytical Chemistry
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam, and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Name: Wytske Siegersma
Position: Relocation Advisor
Telephone: +31 (20) 59 85037