Particulate Air-Quality data assimilation at urban scales
Are you interested in the aerosol contribution to Air Quality? Would you like to join the development of a novel data assimilation system for AQ prediction? Does collaboration in a team across multiple science institutes and involvement of NGO & business stakeholders appeal to you? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
- € 2790 - € 4402 per maand
In this project, Dutch research partners are joining forces to develop a high-resolution joint aerosol-gas data-assimilation system for improving the national Air Quality prediction. Your responsibility will be to implement, test and apply the aerosol component of this system, which will be based on existing components: the model LOTOS-EUROS and an ensemble Kalman filter. The assimilation system will make use of novel satellite data on aerosol composition and pre-cursor gases. Finally, you will help port this system to the high-resolution DALES model. The project will be a collaboration between three postdocs: yourself, a postdoc at Technical University-Delft/KNMI and a postdoc at Wageningen University & Research. Your workplace will be split between VUA (Amsterdam) and TNO (Utrecht).
- Combine existing components into a working data assimilation system for AQ
- Perform studies assessing the added value of current and future satellite data
- Collaborate with two other postdocs
- Communicate your progress at project meetings and scientific conferences
- Publish in scientific journals
- A PhD degree in Earth sciences, physics, astronomy or chemistry
- Excellent computer programming skills
- Good communication skills
- Preferred: experience with aerosol science, and/or data assimilation
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €2,790 (scale 10) and a maximum €4,402 (scale 10), depending on your education and experience. This is a position for 2 years and 5 months but the initial employment contract will be for a period of 1 year, with an extension in case of good performance.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- contribution to commuting expenses
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until November 2, 2020. The job interviews (by zoom) are planned for November 6, 2020, when possible please take this into account when applying for the position.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Nick Schutgens
Telephone: +00 316 11 26 05 86