PHD POSITION 'BALANCING NATURE AND CULTURE IN SOUTHWEST EUROPEAN LANDSCAPE EVOLUTION AND INTEGRATED LEGACIES'
Do you want to make a contribution to the sustainable management of European Landscapes? And do research in TERRANOVA’s South-West-European field laboratory? …
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 uur
- € 2325 - € 2972 per maand
Do you want to make a contribution to the sustainable management of European Landscapes? And do research in TERRANOVA’s South-West-European field laboratory? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
The PhD position is part of the European Training Network TERRANOVA (H2020 ITN) in which 15 PhD fellows will collaborate to increase long-term understanding of landscape histories and land use strategies in Europe. This PhD will investigate detailed archaeological reconstructions and analyses of human occupation history, settlement patterns and land use systems of prehistoric and early historic societies, located in parts of Spain and Portugal. There will be special focus on the long-term impact of human land-use in this highland area that is dissected by floodplains and has a Temperate-Atlantic/ Mediterranean Atlantic climate. As a PhD student you will reconstruct the long-term impact of human land use considering variable ecological conditions, periodicity of tree cover reduction and desertification. The PhD will identify energy regimes and their transitions in human-environment reconstructions in SW Europe and will deliver a synthesis.
This PhD project will be jointly supervised by three supervisors. Three secondments will take place: to the University of Uppsala, to the Spanish Association for the Quaternary Study, and to the University of Evora.
- analyze literature, conduct regional analysis and agent-based modelling
- publish scientific papers and deliver synthesis
- interact and collaborate with other PhD students in the project
- interpret and reconstruct scientific analysis in terms of landscape histories and (shifts in) energy regimes
- outstanding MA/MSc (or equivalent degree) in Archaeology, Geography or related fields
- previous experience in working with Geographical Information Systems
- interdisciplinary skills and strong interest in environmental issues, land-use history, and historical ecology
- next to English, an academic reading ability in Spanish and Portuguese
- work or study outside the Netherlands is an important experience of the successful candidate following the eligibility requirements of Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA)
- a challenging position in a socially involved organization
- participation in a team of leading scientists in different fields of academia and commerce (science, landscape management, modelling and imaging techniques)
- a prestigious EU fellowship in which you will develop multi-, inter- and transdisciplinary research skills, and take part in an excellent training programme covering human-environment interaction, landscape histories, reconstruction, and management, energy regimes and spatial planning, among others
- the opportunity to establish a professional network in academia, business organizations and NGO’s
- internships and visits to different disciplinary institutes within industry and academia
The appointment will initially be for 1 years. After a satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, the contract will be extended for a duration of 2 more years.
The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel and amounts €2,325 per month during the first year and increases to €2,972 per month during the third year, based on a full-time employment. Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter before 15/04/2019.
Check that you meet the conditions specified in “Eligibility Criteria” to qualify for applying:
- All researchers recruited in a Marie Sklodowska-Curie ITN must be Early-Stage Researchers (ESRs). A ESR shall, at the time of recruitment by the host organisation, be in the first four years of their research careers and not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree. The four years start to count from the date when a researcher obtained the degree which would formally entitle him/her to embark on a doctorate.
- Researchers are required to undertake transnational mobility (i.e. move from one country to another) when taking up their appointment. One general rule applies to the appointment of researchers: At the time of recruitment by the host beneficiary, researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of their host beneficiary for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the reference date. Note that the mobility rule applies to the beneficiary where the researcher is recruited, and not to beneficiaries to which the researcher is sent or seconded.
- For all recruitment, the eligibility and mobility of the researcher will be determined at the time of their (first) recruitment in the project. The status of the researcher will not evolve over the life-time of a contract.
Please provide evidence that you meet the above mentioned eligibility requirements as an annex of your CV.
Application deadline: 15 April 2019
Evaluation, interviews and selection process: 16 April 2019-20 June 2019*
Successful candidates informed: 21 June 2019
ESRs are employed and ready to start: 1 October 2019
*An assessment event at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam can be part of the selection process.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Dr. Sjoerd Kluiving
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Name: Sandra Hasanefendic
Position: Consultant on International PhD Recruitment
Telephone: +31 20 59 87170
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature