PhD Position in Cellular Metabolomics in Toxicology
Are you looking for a PhD position in cellular metabolomics? Do you want to be closely involved in following the metabolic fate of toxic compounds and their effects on metabolism? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
- € 2395 - € 3061 per maand
We are looking for a motivated PhD student with strong background on metabolism and metabolomics, to develop research within the EU project RISK-HUNT3R (RISK assessment of chemicals integrating Human centric Next generation Testing strategies promoting the 3Rs: Replacement, Reduction and Refinement of animal-based models).
- Develop metabolomics (based on liquid chromatography mass spectrometry, LC-MS) approaches to monitor and quantify cellular metabolites
- Implement strategies to unravel phase I and II metabolites of toxic compounds in cultured human cell models
- Study the effect of toxic compounds on mitochondrial function
- Interpret and integrate metabolism readouts with functional assays
- Contribute to data integration (omics, pharmacokinetics/dynamics) for risk assessment
- Conduct research within the scope of the project leading to a dissertation
- Publish scientific articles and present research results at conferences
- Supervision of MSc and BSc students
- Collaborate within the team and with other international researchers
- Master degree in Biochemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biology, Chemistry, (Molecular-oriented) Pharmaceutical Sciences, Toxicology or a related discipline
- Strong background in metabolism, metabolomics, metabolic biochemistry and pathway analysis
- Previous experience with handling model organisms, such as mammalian cell culture, and/or mass spectrometry techniques will be considered as important asset(s)
- Skills/experience in programming, data science and/or computer modelling would be a plus
- Strong communication, organizational and social skills
- Fluent in speaking and writing English
- Team player with the ability to work independently
- Strong motivation for scientific research
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel and amounts €2,395 (PhD) per month during the first year and increases to €3,061 (PhD) per month during the fourth year, based on a full-time employment. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 1 FTE.
The appointment will initially be for 1 years. After a satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, the contract will be extended for a total duration of 4 years.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until September 30, 2021. Expected starting date: January 2022.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. P. (Paul) Jennings or Dr. S. (Sofia) Moco
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com