PhD Position in Cellular Toxicity and Bioinformatics
Are you looking for a PhD position in cellular toxicity and bioinformatics? Do you want to be closely involved in following the metabolic fate of toxic compounds and their effects on metabolism? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
- € 2395 - € 3061 per maand
We are looking for a motivated PhD student with strong background in human cell culture systems for toxicity testing and in bioinformatics, to develop research within the NWA-ORC project Virtual Human Platform for Safety assessment (VHP4Safety.nl).
- Optimise and characterise human induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) models, including renal and liver and possibly other organs
- Perform human cell culture-based exposure experiments for assessment of toxicodynamics and-kinetics, including characterisation of donor specific responses
- Develop of data analysis and bioinformatic workflows
- Data analysis and integration
- Conduct research within the scope of the project leading to a dissertation
- Publish scientific articles and present research results at conferences
- Supervision of MSc and BSc students
- Collaborate within the team and with other international researchers
- Master degree in Molecular or Cellular biology, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, Analytical Chemistry, Pharmacology, Toxicology or a related discipline
- Extensive experience in bioinformatics processes and scripting languages (e.g. Python / R)
- Experience in mammalian cell culture
- Good communication, organizational and social skills
- High proficiency in speaking and writing in the English language
- Team player with the ability to work independently
- Strong motivation for scientific research
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel and amounts €2,395 (PhD) per month during the first year and increases to €3,061 (PhD) per month during the fourth year, based on a full-time employment. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 1 FTE.
The appointment will initially be for 1 year. After a satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, the contract will be extended for a total duration of 4 years.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter September 30, 2021. Expected starting date is January 2022.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. P. (Paul) Jennings or Dr. A. (Anja) Wilmes
E-mail: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org