PhD position in Computational Mathematics
The Department of Mathematics of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam welcomes applications for 1 PhD student position in Computational Mathematics. In this project …
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 2325 - € 2972 per maand
The Department of Mathematics of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam welcomes applications for 1 PhD student position in Computational Mathematics. In this project you will work on uncertainty quantification for large-scale brain dynamics under the supervision of Daniele Avitabile. The project lies at the intersection between mathematical neuroscience and computational mathematics. You will study and implement methods for spatio-temporal patterns in a novel class of neural field models, which are relevant to understand epileptic seizures, visual hallucinations and short-term working memory. In this research we will collaborate closely with Gabriel Lord at Radboud University. The preferred starting date is 1 September 2020, or before.
You will work in the Dynamical Systems Group of the Mathematics Department of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. The group has many national and international connections, and is internationally leading in the field of nonlinear dynamics and differential equations. We are fascinated both by concrete applications and by fundamental mathematics.
- doing research towards writing a PhD thesis
- teaching tasks (roughly 15% of your time), which typically consist of supervising exercise classes and correcting homework
- a (prospective) MSc. degree in Mathematics (or an equivalent thereof) with excellent results
- an interest in Dynamical Systems and Numerical Methods
- good communication skills in English
- experience in at least one programming language
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €2,325 (at the start)
and a maximum €2,972 (in the fourth year). The job profile is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8-1.0 FTE.
The appointment will initially be for 1 year. After a satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, the contract will be extended for further 3 years. Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button by 19 April 2020 and upload: include a cover letter, a CV, a list of courses and grades at the MSc level, a (draft) MSc thesis if available, and the names and e-mail addresses of one or two references.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Daniele Avitabile
Position: Associate Professor of Mathematics