PhD position in Dynamical Systems
The Department of Mathematics of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam welcomes applications for a fully-funded, 4-year PhD position in Dynamical Systems. In this …
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 32 uur
- € 2434 - € 3111 per maand
The Department of Mathematics of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam welcomes applications for a fully-funded, 4-year PhD position in Dynamical Systems. In this project you will work on computer-assisted proofs of periodic solutions of the Navier-Stokes equations for fluid flows under the supervision of Jan Bouwe van den Berg. The field of dynamical systems is developing rapidly, and more and more we see that analysis needs to go hand in hand with computer-assistance to obtain proofs for interesting solutions, such as periodic and connecting orbits. In this project you will thus combine dynamical systems theory and partial differential equations with innovative computer-assisted proof techniques.
The research will be carried out in the Dynamical Systems group of the Mathematics Department. The group has many national and international connections, and is internationally leading in the field of nonlinear dynamics and differential equations. We form a very active and collaborative group and are fascinated both by concrete applications and by fundamental mathematics.
The preferred starting date is preferably 1 April and no later than 1 September 2021.
The department has a strong desire to hire more female colleagues. Therefore, women are especially encouraged to apply.
- doing research towards writing a PhD thesis
- teaching tasks (roughly 15% of your time), which typically consist of supervising exercise classes and correcting homework
- a (prospective) MSc. degree in Mathematics (or an equivalent thereof) with excellent results
- an interest in dynamical systems
- some affinity with programming
- good communication skills in English
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €2,334 (at the start) and a maximum €3,111 (in the fourth year). The job profile is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for 0.8-1.0 FTE.
The appointment will initially be for 1 year. After a satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, the contract will be extended for further 3 years. Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- good paid parental leave scheme
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button by February 1, 2022. and upload: a cover letter, a CV, a list of courses and grades at the MSc level, a (draft) MSc thesis if available, and the names and e-mail addresses of two references.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Jan Bouwe van den Berg
Position: Professor of Mathematics