PhD position in entrepreneurship
The Management & Organization department at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam invites applications for a PhD position with a research interest in entrepreneurs and small businesses. We are looking for PhD candidates to join our project on quantitatively...
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
- € 2434 - € 3111 per maand
The PhD position is a full-time position for a period of four years. During these four years, you will follow PhD-level coursework (if needed), plan and conduct your PhD research, and teach.
The research ideas will be defined by the student together with the supervisory group, and should fit with the larger project that this position is a part of. The project involves coaching small business owners, and our role is to use the information those entrepreneurs provide in the process as data for academic research. The project allows us to have rich quantitative information about the hard and soft aspects of entrepreneurship in a setting that resembles a field experiment. Your role involves choosing some of those aspects, developing theory about them, testing that theory using the data, and writing papers about those efforts. For example, we already have published a paper about emotion regulation skills making entrepreneurs happy in their work and personal life.
Starting date of the position: TBD but no later than September 1, 2022.
You will work in close collaboration with the supervisor team (see below) and other Faculty on:
- identifying new research questions
- understanding the theoretical foundations and prior literature
- identifying fundamental relationships between entrepreneurs and their ventures
- writing computer code (typically using R) to analyze quantitative data
- presenting research findings at international conferences
- writing up findings for publication in (top) international journals
- developing your thinking and research skills through classes and seminars
- participating in departmental functions (e.g., research seminars & meetings)
- teaching, including undergraduate tutorials and the supervision of MSc and/or BSc thesis projects
Expected output: The PhD student aims to generate research that can be published in top-tier journals. The final results of the research are published in a PhD dissertation.
We are looking for candidates with:
- masters' degree (preferably a Research Master's) in business administration, business data science, management, organizational behavior, organizational psychology or a related field (candidates with a degree in psychology are encouraged to apply
- excellent speaking and writing ability in English, ideally with experience writing for a scientific audience
- motivation to take responsibility for research projects and carry them through to completion
- statistical skills and command of standard software packages for analyzing quantitative data (e.g., R), and a willingness to develop these skills further
- intellectual curiosity, eagerness to learn, and openness to criticism
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. You work with researchers who are among the world top in their field, with strong records of publishing in top-tier journals. You work within a project that directly helps entrepreneurs in growing their small business, implying immediate societal impact.
The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel and amounts €2,434 (PhD) per month during the first year and increases to €3,111 (PhD) per month during the fourth year, based on a full-time employment. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for 1 FTE.
The appointment will initially be for 18 months with an intermediate evaluation after 18 months with a possibility to extend it for 30 months (totaling 4 years). An educational plan will be drafted that includes attendance of courses (if needed) and (international) conferences. End-result should be a PhD degree. The Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities is applicable.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until March 1,2022.
We start inviting candidates from now on. The search continues until the vacancy is filled with a high-quality candidate. Second-year Research Master students are welcome to apply, too; they will be offered a student assistantship until their graduation (after which they will progress to the PhD position). During this student assistantship, the candidate will start working with the data that are already available (of more than 1,000 entrepreneurs and their businesses).
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. dr. Wouter Stam
Position: Head of Entrepreneurship Section